Re: recover arms for pike

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 30, 2012
      This sounds like the drill movement our Sergeant's use in Aust for the full present arms. For the short report scenario we use the left hand across the body - for a start it would be too dangerous to lower the spontoon to a perpendicular position in front of a senior officer when your trying to report to him...!

      Cheers,

      John

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

      > Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.
      >

      > "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
      > left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
      > slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
      > left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
      > position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."
      >

      > This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
      > 1816
      >

      > Kevin

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 31, 2012
        And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?

        Peter Monahan

        John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>
      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
          My mistake then. During my years as a sergeant in the light company, I only
          every carried a musket, not one of those silly fish/pike things. And I
          always carried it at the advance as befitting such an important person of
          quality and dignity.

          Mark

          From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
          [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
          Behalf
          Of Mark Dickerson

          but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it would be the
          left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

          Mark D

          ,___

        • John
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
            You know what the Army is like.. Everything is regulated and done 'by the numbers'...! ;-)

            John

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

            > And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?
            >
            > Peter Monahan
            >

            > John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
              No I guess you are too fancy for things like that!!

              KW