Battle of New Orleans Symposium, Nunez Community College, Chalmette, LA

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2012
      After recovering from the Hornets' loss last night, I was perusing this week'sSt. Bernard Voice and noticed the following announcement. Some of our recognizable friends will be busy that Sunday :>

      On Sunday, January 13, the Louisiana Institute for Higher Education will host a symposium on the Battle of New Orleans at Nunez Community College. This event will be the first of several in anticipation of the 200th Anniversary of the main Battle of New Orleans that will occur on January 8, 2015. The schedule of events follows:

      Sunday, Jan. 13
      11-11:10am - Welcome

      11:10-noon, The Battle of New Orleans, by Dr. Ron Chapman

      12:30-1:30pm, The Battle of New Orleans, Martin K.A. Morgan

      1:45pm-2:45pm Keynote Lecture, Timothy Pickles

      3pm-4pm, Roundtable Discussion

      Monday January 14
      7pm - The Battle of New Orleans from the Creole Perspective by William Hyland

      I'm assuming the presentations are in the Nunez Auditorium. Nunez Community College has a monthly history lecture (1st Monday every month) that has a dedicated following on always interesting topics. For non-locals, Dr. Chapman has an entertaining lecture of the Battle of New Orleans that frequently runs on the local cable access channel. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone that day.

      Tim S.
      Plauche's Battalion