RE: recover arms for pike

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 27, 2012
      Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.

      "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
      left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
      slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
      left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
      position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."

      This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
      1816

      Kevin

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 28, 2012
        The original posting said "With arms, and when advanced, upon meeting
        Officers, the left hand is carried across the body with a smart motion to
        set the fuzee firm against the shoulder."

        So yes, when at the slope or carry, the left hand doesn't come across the
        body at all, but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it
        would be the left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

        Mark D

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
          Tom,

          I think you are confusing the terms "Present Arms" with the "Salute", which I (at least) take to have slightly differing connotations in earlier times. I have not been able to find a documented command called "Present" for either Serjeants (with Pikes) or Officers for our period (or earlier periods, for that matter), but I have been able to find a command described as "the Salute" used when honours are to be rendered, and yes, when the men are ordered to Present the Officers (at least) Salute.

          If you have documentation you can point me to for either our period or earlier, I'd appreciate the reference. In an earlier email, I posted the link to "The Plan of Discipline for the Norfolk Militia", http://books.google.com/books?id=B0EIAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false , starting on page 23 for the Exercise of Officers.

          The question has not been so simple for the Serjeants, and that is what we are now trying to sort out. Roberts says that the Serjeants keep their Pikes shouldered for any motions not described for them, but it may be that they do something like placing their left hand across the shaft of their Pike as a mark of respect.

          Aye,
          Iain
          I would like to ask if you are refering to an officer being saluted by a soldier presenting arms to him when you say, "...officers do not present arms." I know from manuals of the 18th century and following that officers are instructed in presenting arms when in line and in formation with the battalion or when marching with eyes left or right. Please clarify for me if officers are not to present arms at all according to some research as I would like to have this straight for future mention. Thank you.

          Tom

        • shayna121
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
            Why would the recover be used as a salute or present arms?

            Chris

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.
            >

            > "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
            > left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
            > slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
            > left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
            > position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."
            >

            > This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
            > 1816
            >

            > Kevin

          • shayna121
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
              What I mean is that when the Other Ranks present arms, and the Officers are in formation with the battalion, they salute with their swords. Some may call it semantics, but we think it's an important distinction.

              Chris

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colonel" <lehrerprofessoren@...> wrote:

              > I would like to ask if you are refering to an officer being saluted by a soldier presenting arms to him when you say, "...officers do not present arms." I know from manuals of the 18th century and following that officers are instructed in presenting arms when in line and in formation with the battalion or when marching with eyes left or right. Please clarify for me if officers are not to present arms at all according to some research as I would like to have this straight for future mention. Thank you.
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "shayna121" <PrivateCannon@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Very interesting.
              > >
              > > Iain and I have been carrying on this converstaion offline, but here are some of the things we've discussed:
              > >
              > > 1) Officers do not 'present arms.' When their men do so, they salute.
              > >
              > > 2) To reiterate, no period drill manual yet found has a 'present arms' for Serjeants armed with a pike.
              > >

              > > 3) This drill manual says Serjeants are to remain at the shoulder during all other movements, but that would still allow them to salute in the manner described in previous converstaions (arm across the body to set the musket or pike firmly into the shoulder). They wouldn't be removing their pike from their shoulder.
              > >
              > > Do these things suggest that while the rank and file present arms, the Serjeants salute as they would when approaching an officer? The other alternative is that they do nothing, which doesn't quite feel right to me.
              > >
              > > Also, as this is a drill manual for the pike, can we assume that Serjeants armed with muskets continue to present arms?
              > >
              > > I'd love to hear others' thoughts.
              > >
              > > Merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay,
              > >
              > > Chris McKay
              > >
              > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > All,
              > > that, "Serjeants remain at the shoulder during the performance of the other parts of the exercise...'
              > >
              > > > Mr. McKay's addition to the conversation re: saluting, taken from the 85th Light Infantry Standing orders book, would therefore only be employed when a Serjeant was rendering proper reverence to an Officer, and not something used when the rest of his group was called to Present. Indeed, the manuals I have seen have a "Salute" for Officers, but again nothing about a special move for Present; to my mind, at least, there is a subtle difference between being called to Present and rendering a Salute, even though one might Salute while others are given the order to Present.
              > >

              > > > Aye,
              > > > Iain
              > > > 1st Royal Scots, No. 3 (Centre) Coy

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                From the standing orders of the 85th.

                "Whenever a Non-Commissioned Officer, Bugler, or Private has an occasion to
                address an Officer, give a report, &c, - if with arms, he raises his right
                hand, in the manner above described, to his cap, drops it to the Attention
                position, and raises it once more on leaving the Officer; if with arms he
                RECOVERS first, returns to the Carry, and only RECOVERS again when parting
                with the Officer"

                From "A Treatise on the British Drill and the Exercise of the Company" 1816

                "It is in the position of RECOVER ARMS that a soldier, when with his
                firelock, is at all times to address himself and speak to an officer; and it
                is likewise this position which is taken when the command Recover Arms is
                given as a preparative to the dismissal of a body of men;"

                Kevin

                From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                Of shayna121

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                  There is nothing in the "Exercise of the Pike" that shows "Advance Arms" for
                  the pike.

                  Kevin

                  From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                  Of Mark Dickerson

                  but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it would be the
                  left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

                  Mark D

                  ,___

                • John
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 30, 2012
                    Hi Tom,

                    Speaking culturally for a moment from one within a Commonwealth military I can say that there are two salutes for both officers and men and perhaps this is where some of the confusion comes from. There is a (if you like) long salute which is the full present arms and sword salute where the sword is first raised hilt to the lips and then dropped to the full extent of the right arm. This is used when conducting Royal or General Salutes on the parade ground or to salute dignatories etc..

                    The short salute or report is when for the troops, the left arm (with the current weapons) is brought sharply across the body, forearm parallel to the deck, fingers extended etc.. The equivalent for officer's is to raise the sword hilt to the lips but then to return to the carry. In both cases this is used when reporting to a superior officer prior to an inspection or a similar 'short report'..

                    It's difficult to explain, but in the case of the full present arms it is conducted by the troops in order to salute, whilst officers simultaneously perform a sword salute (which is in effect the same thing as a present arms) but it's not described in those terms... You won't I believe see a drill manual for sword drill for example describing the sword salute as a "present arms", but it may say that an officer will conduct the sword salute at the same time as the men present arms, his movements conforming with theirs... Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!

                    Not sure if that helped or not, but it is very difficult describing cultural nuances to those outside the culture...

                    Cheers,

                    John

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 30, 2012
                      This sounds like the drill movement our Sergeant's use in Aust for the full present arms. For the short report scenario we use the left hand across the body - for a start it would be too dangerous to lower the spontoon to a perpendicular position in front of a senior officer when your trying to report to him...!

                      Cheers,

                      John

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                      > Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.
                      >

                      > "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
                      > left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
                      > slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
                      > left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
                      > position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."
                      >

                      > This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
                      > 1816
                      >

                      > Kevin

                    • peter monahan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 31, 2012
                        And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?

                        Peter Monahan

                        John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>
                      • Mark Dickerson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                          My mistake then. During my years as a sergeant in the light company, I only
                          every carried a musket, not one of those silly fish/pike things. And I
                          always carried it at the advance as befitting such an important person of
                          quality and dignity.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                            You know what the Army is like.. Everything is regulated and done 'by the numbers'...! ;-)

                            John

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                              No I guess you are too fancy for things like that!!

                              KW