Pike Drill for Serjeants, Revisited...

  • Iain Burns
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 23, 2012
      All,

      Some of you may remember back a few months my questions asking what a Pike-armed Sergeant would do when his charges were told to Present Arms. I did get a few answers (for which I was grateful), but apart from a single quotation for how this same Serjeant would Salute (not PRESENT), I received nothing documented.

      Still looking, I may have gotten an answer from someone in the 2/95th Rifles in England. On their excellent website, I got the following a few days ago:

      ****
      By way of diversion, here's another version of present from a german exercise of 1794 (?) published in The British Military Library or Journal from 1799.

      <http://postimage.org/image/oqdqqgkyv/>

      Perhaps more pertinently, here's an extract from, 'Military Instructions including each particular motion of the manual and platoon exercises 1798' David Roberts. Roberts states in his preface that it follows the 1788 Dundas to all intents and purposes, so one might hope for an expression of actual practice. On 'instructions for serjeants' he details the pike movements for the manual exercise and omits a present or salute movement, instead detailing that, "Serjeants remain at the shoulder during the performance of the other parts of the exercise...'
      ****

      Those who wish to take in the full exchange (and indeed, any further comments made) will be able to do so by going to
      http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=10034<http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=10034>

      Mr. McKay's addition to the conversation re: saluting, taken from the 85th Light Infantry Standing orders book, would therefore only be employed when a Serjeant was rendering proper reverence to an Officer, and not something used when the rest of his group was called to Present. Indeed, the manuals I have seen have a "Salute" for Officers, but again nothing about a special move for Present; to my mind, at least, there is a subtle difference between being called to Present and rendering a Salute, even though one might Salute while others are given the order to Present.

      I guess...

      Maybe...

      *(@|);^)

      Aye,
      Iain
      1st Royal Scots, No. 3 (Centre) Coy

    • shayna121
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 23, 2012
        Very interesting.

        Iain and I have been carrying on this converstaion offline, but here are some of the things we've discussed:

        1) Officers do not 'present arms.' When their men do so, they salute.

        2) To reiterate, no period drill manual yet found has a 'present arms' for Serjeants armed with a pike.

        3) This drill manual says Serjeants are to remain at the shoulder during all other movements, but that would still allow them to salute in the manner described in previous converstaions (arm across the body to set the musket or pike firmly into the shoulder). They wouldn't be removing their pike from their shoulder.

        Do these things suggest that while the rank and file present arms, the Serjeants salute as they would when approaching an officer? The other alternative is that they do nothing, which doesn't quite feel right to me.

        Also, as this is a drill manual for the pike, can we assume that Serjeants armed with muskets continue to present arms?

        I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

        Merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay,

        Chris McKay

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@...> wrote:

        > All,
        that, "Serjeants remain at the shoulder during the performance of the other parts of the exercise...'

        > Mr. McKay's addition to the conversation re: saluting, taken from the 85th Light Infantry Standing orders book, would therefore only be employed when a Serjeant was rendering proper reverence to an Officer, and not something used when the rest of his group was called to Present. Indeed, the manuals I have seen have a "Salute" for Officers, but again nothing about a special move for Present; to my mind, at least, there is a subtle difference between being called to Present and rendering a Salute, even though one might Salute while others are given the order to Present.

        > Aye,
        > Iain
        > 1st Royal Scots, No. 3 (Centre) Coy
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 23, 2012
          Where did this arm across the musket or pike come from?

          Kevin
        • shayna121
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 24, 2012
            "With arms, and when advanced, upon meeting Officers, the left hand is carried across the body with a smart motion to set the fuzee firm against the shoulder, and immediately brought back after passing. If arms are sloped, trailed or supported, they must be brought to the carry" (Standing Orders and Regulations for the 85th Light Infantry, 1813, page 34).

            There is no mention of pikes, of course, because the 85th Serjeants didn't carry pikes, but I believe we can extrapolate in this case.

            Chris

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

            > Where did this arm across the musket or pike come from?
            >
            > Kevin

          • Andrew Bateman
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 24, 2012
              On 12/23/2012 8:25 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:
              > Where did this arm across the musket or pike come from?
              >
              > Kevin
              It comes from moving from "slope arms" to "carry arms". We know that
              sentries were allowed to carry their muskets at the slope until they saw
              an officer approach, at which time they were to steady up and go to the
              shoulder (drop the left hand down so the musket is vertical and at the
              same time reach across the body with the right hand and set it into the
              shoulder so it doesn't fall over forwards). This gesture of saluting an
              officer while under arms by reaching across your body and slapping your
              weapon still survives to this day.

              Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
            • John
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 26, 2012
                Hi all,

                My two cents for what it's worth..

                Whilst I agree that Officers do not present arms as such, they do conduct a sword salute which is effectively the same thing, their movements conforming with those of the troops.

                I respectfully disagree that the left hand across the body came from the 'slope arms' to 'carry arms' movement as this involves the right hand moving across the body, not the left.. I suggest that it may have come from the previous 'pike salute' in the British Army which was certainly in use during the Civil War and probably earlier.. The movement involves lowering the pike to a horizontal position from the right shoulder.. This would require the left arm to cut across the body and it seems likely to me that this first movement is what survived as the salute when the drill was changed..

                And yes, this movement has survived as the salute for Majors and below in the modern Commonwealth forces using either the left or the right hand depending on the period and the weapon.. Higher ranks get the full General salute..

                Cheers,

                John

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bateman <a_bateman@...> wrote:

                > On 12/23/2012 8:25 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:
                > > Where did this arm across the musket or pike come from?
                > >
                > > Kevin
                > It comes from moving from "slope arms" to "carry arms". We know that
                > sentries were allowed to carry their muskets at the slope until they saw
                > an officer approach, at which time they were to steady up and go to the
                > shoulder (drop the left hand down so the musket is vertical and at the
                > same time reach across the body with the right hand and set it into the
                > shoulder so it doesn't fall over forwards). This gesture of saluting an
                > officer while under arms by reaching across your body and slapping your
                > weapon still survives to this day.
                >
                > Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

              • shayna121
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 26, 2012
                  That's true, but it's an important distinction. The rank and file have a present arms and a salute, whereas the Officers just have the salute, which they use to salute senior Officers, as well as the Colours. The conclusion we're reaching, therefore, is that if the Serjeants don't have a present arms (it hasn't turned up in any period manual), then they should use their salute in the same manner as the Officers.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 26, 2012
                    We can say that it survives to this day, but we can't say that it was what
                    was used by everyone.

                    We have seen one example in a regiment's "standing orders" but that doesn't
                    mean it was common practise. Also if you look at the Standing orders of the
                    85th you get a few other things. "Whenever a non-commissioned Officer,
                    Bugler, or Private has the occasion to address an officer, give a report,
                    etc.. if with arms he recovers first, returns to the carry, and only
                    recovers again when parting the officer." And before that, "All inferiors
                    are to give the salute first to their superiors. The salutes of all
                    Non-Commissioned Officers, Buglers and privates, are of two descriptions,
                    with arms and without. The Present and carry, (and occasionally the
                    recover,) when with arms."

                    If you look at the Standing Orders for the Royal Staff Corps it states
                    something different.

                    "A Good Soldier will be attentive and salute all Officers, and at all hours,
                    in whatever dress they may appear. He can have no excuse for passing an
                    Officer of his own Corps without paying that respect, as he must know him,
                    although in coloured clothes: in all such instances, when a man is a
                    centinel, he will only remain steady at his post with supported arms, in the
                    same manner as he is taught to acknowledge Officers passing his post after
                    retreat beating."

                    So maybe before we say "this is how it is done" we do a little more research
                    here.

                    Kevin

                    RNR

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 27, 2012
                      Hullo Kevin

                      I agree that more research is what we need... the original spark for this question was a question on a Napoleonic Highland Regiment discussion group where the comment was made as to the number of different ways Serjeants were reacting when their units were ordered to Present. None of the ways described had any documentation to back them up. I started asking back in August and got lots of suggestions, but little documentation. Every post seemed to start by saying, "Well, this is what WE do..."

                      While your post muddles (or maybe empowers?) things a bit when it describes two different ways of saluting in the same text (the 85th Standing Orders), I also think that you cannot equate giving a report with simply saluting, as in the first there is a known intent to address and officers, and the in the second there is a passing engagement so to speak... so reacting in different ways may be explained.

                      I am all for continuing this conversation, even if it documents several different possible actions that are documented to our period. What I am trying to do is to get to SOME documentable method of action for a Serjeant with a Pike when the rest of the unit is called to present, that meets my group's documentation guidelines; that is it must be documentable to our unit first, OR to British Infantry Regiments in our area in the absence of the first; OR to a general practice of the British Army for the period in absence of the first two.

                      Aye,
                      Iain
                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 27, 2012
                        Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.

                        "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
                        left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
                        slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
                        left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
                        position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."

                        This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
                        1816

                        Kevin

                      • Mark Dickerson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 28, 2012
                          The original posting said "With arms, and when advanced, upon meeting
                          Officers, the left hand is carried across the body with a smart motion to
                          set the fuzee firm against the shoulder."

                          So yes, when at the slope or carry, the left hand doesn't come across the
                          body at all, but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it
                          would be the left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

                          Mark D

                          I respectfully disagree that the left hand across the body came from the
                          'slope arms' to 'carry arms' movement as this involves the right hand moving
                          across the body, not the left..

                        • Colonel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 28, 2012
                            I would like to ask if you are refering to an officer being saluted by a soldier presenting arms to him when you say, "...officers do not present arms." I know from manuals of the 18th century and following that officers are instructed in presenting arms when in line and in formation with the battalion or when marching with eyes left or right. Please clarify for me if officers are not to present arms at all according to some research as I would like to have this straight for future mention. Thank you.

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                              Tom,

                              I think you are confusing the terms "Present Arms" with the "Salute", which I (at least) take to have slightly differing connotations in earlier times. I have not been able to find a documented command called "Present" for either Serjeants (with Pikes) or Officers for our period (or earlier periods, for that matter), but I have been able to find a command described as "the Salute" used when honours are to be rendered, and yes, when the men are ordered to Present the Officers (at least) Salute.

                              If you have documentation you can point me to for either our period or earlier, I'd appreciate the reference. In an earlier email, I posted the link to "The Plan of Discipline for the Norfolk Militia", http://books.google.com/books?id=B0EIAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false , starting on page 23 for the Exercise of Officers.

                              The question has not been so simple for the Serjeants, and that is what we are now trying to sort out. Roberts says that the Serjeants keep their Pikes shouldered for any motions not described for them, but it may be that they do something like placing their left hand across the shaft of their Pike as a mark of respect.

                              Aye,
                              Iain

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                                Why would the recover be used as a salute or present arms?

                                Chris

                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                                > Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.
                                >

                                > "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
                                > left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
                                > slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
                                > left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
                                > position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."
                                >

                                > This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
                                > 1816
                                >

                                > Kevin

                              • shayna121
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                                  What I mean is that when the Other Ranks present arms, and the Officers are in formation with the battalion, they salute with their swords. Some may call it semantics, but we think it's an important distinction.

                                  Chris

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                                    From the standing orders of the 85th.

                                    "Whenever a Non-Commissioned Officer, Bugler, or Private has an occasion to
                                    address an Officer, give a report, &c, - if with arms, he raises his right
                                    hand, in the manner above described, to his cap, drops it to the Attention
                                    position, and raises it once more on leaving the Officer; if with arms he
                                    RECOVERS first, returns to the Carry, and only RECOVERS again when parting
                                    with the Officer"

                                    From "A Treatise on the British Drill and the Exercise of the Company" 1816

                                    "It is in the position of RECOVER ARMS that a soldier, when with his
                                    firelock, is at all times to address himself and speak to an officer; and it
                                    is likewise this position which is taken when the command Recover Arms is
                                    given as a preparative to the dismissal of a body of men;"

                                    Kevin

                                    From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                    Of shayna121

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 29, 2012
                                      There is nothing in the "Exercise of the Pike" that shows "Advance Arms" for
                                      the pike.

                                      Kevin

                                      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                      Of Mark Dickerson

                                      but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it would be the
                                      left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

                                      Mark D

                                      ,___

                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 30, 2012
                                        Hi Tom,

                                        Speaking culturally for a moment from one within a Commonwealth military I can say that there are two salutes for both officers and men and perhaps this is where some of the confusion comes from. There is a (if you like) long salute which is the full present arms and sword salute where the sword is first raised hilt to the lips and then dropped to the full extent of the right arm. This is used when conducting Royal or General Salutes on the parade ground or to salute dignatories etc..

                                        The short salute or report is when for the troops, the left arm (with the current weapons) is brought sharply across the body, forearm parallel to the deck, fingers extended etc.. The equivalent for officer's is to raise the sword hilt to the lips but then to return to the carry. In both cases this is used when reporting to a superior officer prior to an inspection or a similar 'short report'..

                                        It's difficult to explain, but in the case of the full present arms it is conducted by the troops in order to salute, whilst officers simultaneously perform a sword salute (which is in effect the same thing as a present arms) but it's not described in those terms... You won't I believe see a drill manual for sword drill for example describing the sword salute as a "present arms", but it may say that an officer will conduct the sword salute at the same time as the men present arms, his movements conforming with theirs... Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!

                                        Not sure if that helped or not, but it is very difficult describing cultural nuances to those outside the culture...

                                        Cheers,

                                        John

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 30, 2012
                                          This sounds like the drill movement our Sergeant's use in Aust for the full present arms. For the short report scenario we use the left hand across the body - for a start it would be too dangerous to lower the spontoon to a perpendicular position in front of a senior officer when your trying to report to him...!

                                          Cheers,

                                          John

                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                                          > Iain, the best I can figure from the manual is to recover arms.
                                          >

                                          > "Throw the pike to the front in a perpendicular position opposite to the
                                          > left eye, the right hand grasping it at the shoe, which touches the body
                                          > slightly, and the left hand supporting the shaft by holding it opposite the
                                          > left eye between the thumb and fore-finger; the left elbow is in this
                                          > position bent, and risen as high as the left shoulder."
                                          >

                                          > This is from "A Treatise on the British Drill and Exercise of the Company"
                                          > 1816
                                          >

                                          > Kevin

                                        • peter monahan
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 31, 2012
                                            And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?

                                            Peter Monahan

                                            John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>
                                          • Mark Dickerson
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                                              My mistake then. During my years as a sergeant in the light company, I only
                                              every carried a musket, not one of those silly fish/pike things. And I
                                              always carried it at the advance as befitting such an important person of
                                              quality and dignity.

                                              Mark

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                                                You know what the Army is like.. Everything is regulated and done 'by the numbers'...! ;-)

                                                John

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                                                  No I guess you are too fancy for things like that!!

                                                  KW