RE: 1812 Facial Hair

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 17, 2012
      Fred et al:Hair styles in the military tended to follow the styles of the broader society. This was the period of "Neo-Classicalism", the revival of the styles of ancient Greece. In Greek statuary there are few men who are bearded. The exceptions are old philosophers. In portraiture of the mid- to late-Georgian period, the same applies. No beards. In caricatures of the day, this also applies. The few that are bearded are farm-workers and folk at this social level.
      I have in my collection of pictures several portraits of officers of the period - none are bearded, and al have "classical" styled hair, including the Duke himself.I also have a caricature of the negotiating team from the Spithead Mutiny of the 1790s, mostly sailors, but there reps. of the Marines as well. None are bearded, and most have the classical hairstyle. One wears a pigtail.In the army the only soldier allowed to wear a full beard was the company and regimental Pioneer. Reasons for this are offered - may be they were just too lazy to shave. I now duck.
      Fred, I can e-mail copies to you, if you wish. The link which came with your initial inquiry does not seem to work, and I think that the 1812 system does not take attachments. Email me directly.
      SincerelyRay HobbsHCol 41st Regt.