Re: 1812 Re: Paying "compliments."

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
      Steve,

      Very interesting, do Pensioners (US) receive compliments? In the British Army an Officer is expected to salute a Pensioner (in uniform) rather than the other way around.

      I was surprised in Belgium when our military attache (Royal Marines Lt. Colonel) paid me a compliment even though he knew I was a re-enactor and not kosher. He said that it was the uniform that he honoured (absolutely correct) I was touched.

      Incidentally the Pensioners of the Royal Hospital are the only British Army organisation who have the right to salute with their left hand.

      Compliment of the season to you, your family and all the ladies and gentlemen who portray the US Forces of the 1812 period.

      Yours

      Peter Catley
      In-Pensioner, the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London.

      On 13 Dec 2012, at 14:27, sacbg7 <sacbg7@...> wrote:

      > Good morning Bob,
      >
      > Dave Bennett and I have found the following regarding the paying of compliments/saluting for US troops. See below.
      >
      > All the best,
      > S.

    • Charles Fitton
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
        ...so if I have a musket, and am hitching a ride on a turnip cart, as we pass a mounted officer....

        WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >Good morning Bob,
        >
        >Dave Bennett and I have found the following regarding the paying of compliments/saluting for US troops. See below.
        >
        >All the best,
        >S.
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
          I believe the officer is under no obligation to acknowledge a ranker, even if he salutes. You might get his attention by chucking a turnip.

          Hobbs

          From: charles_fitton@...
          Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:40:16 -0500
          Subject: Re: 1812 Re: Paying "compliments."

          ...so if I have a musket, and am hitching a ride on a turnip cart, as we pass a mounted officer....

        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
            You salute the horse, of course!

            Peter Monahan