Paying "compliments."

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hello-- my apologies if this topic has been covered.

      Von Steuben and Smyth seem to be silent on compliments (salutes) paid to officers when the soldier is without arms. I would appreciate any thoughts or enlightenment on whether or not such compliments are appropriate in 1812-1815.

      Many thanks!

      Bob Braun
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2012
        Bob

        I believe that Chris McKay is the expert on this for the British units. He did a presentation at our NCO School in the last year or two. It gets complicated - with arms, without arms, under command, not under, with an NCO ... You get the idea, I think.

        I expect Chris will jump in here! Right, Chris?

        Peter Monahan

        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

        > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        > From: braunwis@...
        > Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 01:10:05 +0000
        > Subject: 1812 Paying "compliments."
        >
        > Hello-- my apologies if this topic has been covered.
        >
        > Von Steuben and Smyth seem to be silent on compliments (salutes) paid to officers when the soldier is without arms. I would appreciate any thoughts or enlightenment on whether or not such compliments are appropriate in 1812-1815.
        >
        > Many thanks!
        >
        > Bob Braun

      • sacbg7
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
          Good morning Bob,

          Dave Bennett and I have found the following regarding the paying of compliments/saluting for US troops. See below.

          All the best,
          S.

          A "salute" is with the hand / removing the hat/cap.

          "Honours" to an officer includes "Present Arms". Honours are givien
          to particular Officers by their guards once a day or by a
          Sentinel.....

          "Regulations for the Field Exercise, Manoeuvres, and conduct of the
          Infantry of the Unite States...1812:

          [page187] To major Generals: They will turn out with presented arms
          and beat two ruffles.
          To Brigadier generals; they ....presented arms, and beat one ruffle.
          To officers of the day; They will ....presented arms, and beat
          according to their rank.
          To Colonels; Their own quarter guards turn out once a day with
          presented arms; after which they only turn out with ordered arms.
          To lt.Cols; Their own quarter guard ...once a day with shouldered
          arms; after which they only turn out and stand by their arms.
          To majors; Their own quarter guards turn out once a day with ordered
          arms; at all other times they stand by their arms.
          When a Lt. Col or Major commands a regiment, the quarter guard is to
          pay him the same honours as are due to a colonel.
          All Sentinels present their arms to general officers, and to the
          field officers of their own regiments; to all other commissioned
          officers they stand with shouldered arms.
          No honours are to be paid to any officer of the army unless he wears
          military dress.
          When a detachment with arms passes before a guard, the guard shall be
          under arms, and the drums of both beat a march.
          When a detachment without arms passes before a guard, the guard shall
          turn out and stand by their arms.
          After retreat no honours are to be paid; and when near the enemy, no
          honours are to be paid with the drum. "

          "Standing orders of the First Infantry [ National Archives RG98,
          Clemson/Symmes Company book, Originaly issued 1802 1807-1815 ]

          Soldiers to Salute their Officers
          As the non-commissioned officers and men are subject to take off
          their hats so frequently, to the injury of the Hat, the practice is
          forbidden; and for future whenever a non-commissioned officer or
          soldier, passes an officer of the navy, or army, speaks to him out of
          Door, he is to raise his right hand briskly to his hat, with the elbow
          square with the shoulder, and look the officer full in the face. A
          non-commissioned officer or a soldier with arms, coming up to speak
          to an officer is to march up boldly, Recover his arms and deliver his
          message without fear or diffidence."

          Below is information on orders of the 7th Infantry. This is dated 1813/15 and from the recruiting depot in Knoxville, TN

          " A soldier will rise when an officer enters the room and remain
          standing during the visit. [ 1813 ]

          The Saluation among Officers in Uniform, will be made by touching the
          cap or chapeau without inclination of the head or body; out of
          uniform by uncovering the head, in the case the inferior would be the
          last to recover the head. [ 1815 ]

          The non-commissioned staff and Sergeants when in uniform, without
          halting salute officers as above; Out of uniform they would take off
          their hats or police cap and hold it down by the right side until the
          officer passes or is passed. [ 1815 ]

          Every Corporal or private soldier, will in general, salute officers
          in like manner; but if the officer by a general the colonel or other
          commander of the regiment or Post, and the Corporal or soldier be in
          uniform, he would halt, fact to, and salute such officer by touching
          the cap as above and then remain as under arms for a moment or until
          passed. By this form, at the same time the compliment is rendered,
          the individual submits himself to an Inspection. [ 1815 ]

          A non-commissioned officer or soldier being seated and without
          particular occupation, will rise on the approach of an officer and
          make the customary salutation. If standing, it would be proper to
          turn towards the officer for the same purpose. [ 1815 ]

          If the parties remain in the same place, or on the same ground, such
          compliments would not, in general be repeated. [ 1815 ]"

          In Conclusion, presenting of arms was on the parade ground, or by
          sentinels or the guard to high ranking officers. To their Captains
          they would recover arms.
          Reenactors frequently get silly and start presenting arms to anyone
          and everyone.

          Officers are saluted when they are in uniform, if they are running
          around out of uniform for whatever reason, they are not saluted, only
          remove the cap.

          If enlisted men ( Corporals and privates ) are in uniform they are to
          halt and salute, thus submitting them self to be inspected. This is
          to their regimental commander, a general or a Post commander.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <braunwis@...> wrote:

          > Von Steuben and Smyth seem to be silent on compliments (salutes) paid to officers when the soldier is without arms. I would appreciate any thoughts or enlightenment on whether or not such compliments are appropriate in 1812-1815.
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2012
            Steve,

            Very interesting, do Pensioners (US) receive compliments? In the British Army an Officer is expected to salute a Pensioner (in uniform) rather than the other way around.

            I was surprised in Belgium when our military attache (Royal Marines Lt. Colonel) paid me a compliment even though he knew I was a re-enactor and not kosher. He said that it was the uniform that he honoured (absolutely correct) I was touched.

            Incidentally the Pensioners of the Royal Hospital are the only British Army organisation who have the right to salute with their left hand.

            Compliment of the season to you, your family and all the ladies and gentlemen who portray the US Forces of the 1812 period.

            Yours

            Peter Catley
            In-Pensioner, the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London.

            On 13 Dec 2012, at 14:27, sacbg7 <sacbg7@...> wrote:

            > Good morning Bob,
            >
            > Dave Bennett and I have found the following regarding the paying of compliments/saluting for US troops. See below.
            >
            > All the best,
            > S.

          • Charles Fitton
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
              ...so if I have a musket, and am hitching a ride on a turnip cart, as we pass a mounted officer....

              WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >Good morning Bob,
              >
              >Dave Bennett and I have found the following regarding the paying of compliments/saluting for US troops. See below.
              >
              >All the best,
              >S.
            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
                I believe the officer is under no obligation to acknowledge a ranker, even if he salutes. You might get his attention by chucking a turnip.

                Hobbs

                From: charles_fitton@...
                Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:40:16 -0500
                Subject: Re: 1812 Re: Paying "compliments."