US Leather Shako Pattern

  • Forrest Harris
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
      Hello from a military miniature sculptor,
      In Chartrand's work and other references, I've noticed several variations in the "Tombstone" shako of 1813-1814. Some have high fronts that are fairly flat and square, while others have a somewhat conical design with a front that is more rounded at the top, and blended into the sides without much or any stitching or binding to set them off from the body of the cap. The squared variety sometimes have white binding around the false front, but sometimes not. Are all correct variations or is one more accurate than the others? Did they vary by contractor, lot, or unit? Was it just a case of the basic regulations leaving room for the contractor to make his own interpretation?

      Thanks for any assistance and perspectives you can provide!

      All the best,
      Forrest Harris
      Knuckleduster Miniatures
    • gary beauregard
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
        As you say, there are several authentic versions. The "shaped version" with the front being an integral part of the body seems to be the most common to have survived to the present day.
      • awhitelion2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
          Check out what is posted on the 23rd Infantry Reenactment website [below] . It is a good overview, with pictures. Of course various issues of the Military Collector and Historian also have some in depth articles
          Tom Dunbar ,23rd
          http://www.23rdus1812reg.org/

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Harris" <forrestharris@...> wrote:

          > Hello from a military miniature sculptor,
          > In Chartrand's work and other references, I've noticed several variations in the "Tombstone" shako of 1813-1814.[snip]
        • gary beauregard
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
            Here are several views of the 1813 shako.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
              I will be showing my quiz project video "When was the War of 1812?"  during the reception at 6:30 pm prior to the showcase activities. If you have any DC history stories to tell, this is a great grant project for you to pursue. I received $2,000 from the Humanities Council of Washington, DC with the Dumbarton House as my fiscal sponsor to make my video quiz about the War of 1812 in Washington, DC. The showcase is free! Just use the Eventbrite link below, or call the HCWDC office to register for the event. ~~Diane Williams

              The DC Community Heritage Project Showcase will be held on December 6, 2012 at All Souls Church, located
              at 1500 Harvard Street, NW from 6:30 – 8:30pm. We are asking grantees to arrive at 6pm to exhibit work from your project and enjoy the refreshments. The program will take place as follows:

              6:00pm - Arrival to begin set-up in the
              Pierce Ballroom of All Souls Church. Six foot tables will be arranged
              around the perimeter of the room. Each of you will have space to display your project. There are electrical outlets available for laptop
              computer displays. Refreshments will also be provided.

              6:30pm – Open exhibit to the general public. Attendees will have an opportunity to meet with you and learn more about your project.

              7:00pm – Remarks will be given by David
              Maloney, State Historic Preservation Officer; Bradford Grant, Chair of
              Humanities Council Board of Directors.

              7:15pm - Keynote address delivered by Jennifer Kraftchik, Director of the Historical Society.

              7:30pm – Film viewing(about all of the projects)

              8:00pm - Questions and answers with the audience

              8:25pm - Closing remarks by Joy Ford Austin, Director of the Humanities Council

              We have been promoting this event through our
              various networks and have nearly one hundred registrations. Our goal is
              two hundred registrations so we need your help by posting the event on
              your website your continued support in encouraging your friends,
              networks and colleges to attend. Registration can be completed through
              our Eventbrite page at http://dcchpshowcase2012.eventbrite.com/ or by calling the office at (202) 387-8391. If you have any questions,
              feel free to reach me via email or by phone at (202) 387-8391. Thanks in advance for all of your hard work and making the Showcase a great
              event!

              Mark Smith
              Director of Grants & Special Projects
              925 U Street, NW