Bounty a casualty of Hurricane Sandy

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
      ListFor the Navy types.
      There was a brief newsflash on CBC News Network just a few minutes ago that the crew were forced to abandon the Bounty off the coast of North Carolina.This ship is a replica of the original, and was built in Nova Scotia for one of the films of the mutiny. It had been on a world tour, and the last I heard was up for sale, at a cool $4m and change.No news as to whether there will be a rescue/salvage attempt.Ray H

    • spikeyj
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
        On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:21:16 -0400
        Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

        > ListFor the Navy types.
        > There was a brief newsflash on CBC News Network just a
        > few minutes ago that the crew were forced to abandon the
        > Bounty off the coast of North Carolina.

        14 crew rescued. 2 still missing.

        Spike Y Jones
      • David Brunelle
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
          Hi Everyone,

          I heard and spoke with Tall Ships America around 7am this morning that the
          Bounty was in trouble and unfortunately she has sunk and a great Tall Ship
          is lost to the ages. She was scheduled to tour the Great Lakes next year as
          part of the War of 1812 Tall Ships Bicentennial tour which of course will
          not be happening now. 14 of the 16 crew have been rescued to date and two
          are still missing with the potential of another person as there seemed to be
          some conflicting news on how many were aboard the ship in total. Either way
          thoughts and prayers go out to the two or three that are still missing and
          that they are rescued. Below is a news article from the Bounty from this
          morning.

          Also as a note all media and official inquiries to the Bounty and her
          sinking should be directly to Tall Ships America.

          Thanks!

          David Brunelle

          Ontario Tall Ship Pan Provincial Co-ordinator - 2013

          At least two crew members of a Nova Scotia-built replica vessel are missing
          after abandoning ship off the coast of North Carolina in high seas brought
          on by Hurricane Sandy.

          Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard told CBC News the 16-member crew of HMS
          Bounty decided to abandon ship after getting caught in 5.5-metre seas off
          Cape Hatteras on Monday.

          All the crew members made it onto two covered life-rafts but only 14 people
          were hoisted onto helicopters, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Brendan Selerno. He
          said officials have not yet had the chance to debrief the 14 survivors to
          find out what happened to the two other crew members.

          Selerno said the two missing crew members are believed to be in cold water
          survival suits and life-jackets. He said the air search is being plotted
          based on wind direction and speed, and will be expanded.

          HMS Bounty sank several hours after the evacuation.

          The Coast Guard was originally told 17 people were on the Bounty but only 16
          heat signatures were detected. They now say 16 people were on board. The
          boat's owner says there were 17 people on board.

          A U.S. Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter arrived on scene at
          approximately 6:30 a.m. and hoisted five people from the life-rafts. A
          second helicopter arrived and rescued nine more people.

          Helicopter rescue mission

          The U.S. Coast Guard was contacted on Sunday night after the ship began
          taking on water. A Hercules C-130 aircraft was dispatched to try to get the
          crew to safety.

          "We had a C-130 on scene that was running out of fuel and experiencing a
          little crew fatigue, so we dispatched another C-130 to arrive on scene and
          relieve them," said Petty Officer 1st Class Jordan Campbell.

          The Hercules C-130 remains on the scene in the search for the missing crew
          members. A third MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter is on the way to assist in the
          search effort, said the U.S. Coast Guard.

          Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard said the winds in the area are sustained
          in the 75 km/h range.

          Claudia McCann, whose husband is the captain of the Bounty, said she hadn't
          slept since she received word the ship was taking on water.

          She said her husband, Captain Robin Walbridge, was trying to get around
          Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida.

          "He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around
          it," McCann said Monday.

          "I'm sure he's devastated. Absolutely devastated. But the crew comes first
          and you have to save the crew."

          'Just in case something happens'

          Claudene Christian, whose daughter Claudene is a crew member on the Bounty,
          said her daughter had contacted her before heading out on her journey.

          "She says, 'We're heading out and I just wanted to tell you and dad that I
          love you.' And I said, 'What are you saying that for?' And she said, 'Just
          in case something happens,'" Christian said in a phone interview from
          Oklahoma.

          "She was truly and genuinely happy and loved the Bounty and loved what she
          was doing - and wanted us to know that just in case she went down with the
          ship."

          The replica of HMS Bounty, which launched in Lunenburg in 1960, was made
          famous in a 1962 movie starring Marlon Brando - Mutiny on the Bounty. It has
          also appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest starring Johnny
          Depp.

          HMS Bounty operated as a sea school and was most recently in Halifax in July
          for the Tall Ships Festival
          <http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/07/18/ns-tall-ships-ph
          oto-gallery.html> .

        • Tom Russell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
            Having the honor to have served aboard the HMS Bounty once, this is really
            tragic news for me personally. My heart and prayers go out to my
            friends-the Crew and their families.

            Tom Russell

            Royal Marines

            _____