1812 Bicentennial Volunteer Award

  • barrywebbpvt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2012
      Members of the Forces of Lord Selkirk made the long drive to participate at Queenston Heights. It was well worth the trip. The Americans were impressive. We commented on their numbers and sharp volleys. Marching in the British column and firing in line is a thrill few experience. Thank you to the Royal Scots Grenadiers and all the organizers and participants.

      One valuble keepsake from this event is the Volunteer Award medal. For the King's men in the West, this trip represents significant cost and effort to participate. Besides, I can't wear the T-shirt to the mess dinner. I would like to receive the clasp for each event. Also, It is fortunate the we did not have to wait 35 years for recognition.

      I would appreciate any information on this award and the International War of 1812 Commemorative Committee. Thanks.
    • Matt Lanteigne
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2012
        I was able to get my volunteer medal, however the paper work did not
        list any type of contact information or website. I tried google and
        didn't get any luck there either.

        The paperwork did say the medal would be available at other 200th
        anniversary events, but I'm not sure how well funded or how much driving
        force is behind this committee. The paperwork also mentioned "bars" to
        be placed on the ribbon once the medal was obtained, which would signify
        participation at concurrent 200th anniversary events.

        An excellent idea, I hope it stays afloat. If someone knows something
        more about it, or how to contact them I'd also be interested.

        Matt

        --
        *Matt Lanteigne*
        AKA - Lorny or Magnus

      • Mark Bradford
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2012
          I like this idea of a medal for renactors celebrating the bicentennials! Is there one for the Bicentenary of Waterloo, in 2015?

          With Regards

          Mark

        • Matt Lanteigne
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2012
            Coghlin and Upton sell one...it's not specific to the Bicentennial, but
            it's a repro of the medal issue for Waterloo in 1815...

            http://coghlinandupton.netfirms.com/store/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=313

            Matt