Lewiston and the Battle of Queenston Heights

  • 19th Colonel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2012
      I would like to thank Lee Simonson and the Lewiston Historical society and the Queenston Heights bicentennial committees for being such great host. I have never been treated so well at an reenactment.
      I worked as a consultant for the Lewiston committee and never have a seen a group of people go out of their way to provide anything we asked for. We realized we would be competing with activities in Canada but our goal was to compliment the proceedings on the heights. This was accomplished admirably. The Village of Lewiston hosted 200 reenactors who participated in a historical education day, a parade and a bombardment on the banks of the Niagara. A full size six gun battery accented by fireworks was a spectacle that will seldom be repeated. The event and the reenactors were appreciated by the Village of Lewiston and all who attended.

      The second part of the event I must thank the Lewiston Bicentennial committee for providing transportation for 150 reenactors who attended the events at the heights. This was the first thing planned by the bicentennial committee although they still did not know if they would have anyone attend their reenactment. It was a great support to the Queenston event and provided 2/3rds of the attending US forces. Also a special thanks to the committee for coordinating with US/Canadian border officials in expediting the border crossings. US customs officials pre registered participants so that buses cleared the border in 7 minutes. A achievement that all involved were proud of.

      I would like to thank Jim Hill, Peter Martin and all their minions for the warm welcome we received on the heights and all the British forces for their warm reception on the battlefield.

      I would especially like to thank all the US commanders who made my job so much easier and to the men whose skill and dedication created an army that could stand toe to toe with the best. In less than 45 minutes.

      Over all it was a wonderful weekend I enjoyed with friends and close company.

      Thank you,
      Robt. Trumbull
      US Officer Commanding
      Queenston Bicentennial