Re: Militia top hats

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2012
      I have just purchased a new round hat with hackle and cockade from Glendon Hovey at Sew Historic. Coglin and Upton and Spencers Mercantile also sell fine plumes.

      Cheers!
      Mike Jansen
      2nd Lincoln Militia

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "pfcschultz" <johnpritter@...> wrote:

      > I have been looking through pictures of militia tophats, and I was about to break down and buy a Jas Townsend top hat, when I thought to myself, you know, I am wondering if a Civil War Hardee hat looks more like what it is supposed to look like (without the cocked up side). What do you gentlemen suggest, and where is a good source for cockades and plumes?

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2012
        Check out "Coghlin and upton" for their top hats.

        From the website:

        "In the early part of the 19th Century there was a profusion of top hat
        styles, most of them originating from France. The "County" hat was purely
        English, emulating the "Country Gentleman"

        I have one and I like it a lot. And it is made right here in Canada by the
        same company in Calgary that makes the Calgary Stampede hats!

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
          The website for First Regiment Volunteers http://www.firstregiment.com/ offers a couple of resources - check its link to "round hats". I have no information about the Canadian hatter they mention, but I have seen Tim Bender's hats in person. The gent who made my 18th c. hats (who apprenticed with the best)says they look good to him, and the owners are very satisfied with their quality. Maybe this info will at least give you a place to start.
          Nat Elwell

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "pfcschultz" <johnpritter@...> wrote:

          > I have been looking through pictures of militia tophats, and I was about to break down and buy a Jas Townsend top hat, when I thought to myself, you know, I am wondering if a Civil War Hardee hat looks more like what it is supposed to look like (without the cocked up side). What do you gentlemen suggest, and where is a good source for cockades and plumes?

        • David Brunelle
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
            Coghlin and Upton has a great line of period appropriate top hats at very
            reasonable prices.

            Check them out at: www.coghlinandupton.netfirms.com

            David J. Brunelle, OCT

            Project Director

            Southern Georgian Bay

            War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

            705-716-7124

            www.1812bicentennial.com
          • pfcschultz
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
              Thank you everyone for the suggestions,
              I went with a top hat from Coghlin and Upton, the county with the 2.5 inch brim as opposed to the 3 inch. I purchased a 3.5 inch round pressed leather cockade, and a pewter eagle with 3 holes drilled in it. I have not had any luck finding a wool hackel in red over white, but I did get a feather one and an all white wool, but I want to use that on a future tombstone shako.

              For anyone that has done this before, what type of thread did you use to attach the cockade, what is the best way to attach it, and just to be certain, it does go on the left side correct?

              Thanks,
              John