CBC DocZone: Thursday, Oct 4: The War of 1812: Been There, Won That

  • robmcg60@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2012
      Greetings All:

      I hope the weekend is treating you well.

      If the grapevine hasn't been in operation, then please allow me to share with you the following TV documentary 'Warning Order', as it were, regarding The War of 1812.

      "The War of 1812: Been There, Won That" was produced by the CBC during the past year. Members of my unit were privileged to assist with filming a portion of this at Fort George during the sweltering July Friday before the weekend event. Our role was to illustrate the hardships, discipline and training that went into the making of a British soldier.

      We had the good fortune to work with Peter Keleghan, the star of the show. He is a popular Canadian comedian who, when you see his face via watching the link provided below, might be familiar to you, especially if you like 'Red Green', 'Made in Canada', '18 to Life' and 'Murdoch Mysteries', to name a few shows in which he's starred.

      Firstly, Mr. Keleghan was a real trooper. He endured about 7 hours of filming and training during a very hot and humid day, all while wearing our period clothing. He was funny, outgoing and responded with vigour and zeal to every opportunity to make the most of his time with us. During the scene when we were dressing him up, he put on his gaiters so quickly that we actually had to retake the scene several times to ensure he was a clumsy and fumbling oaf, which he most certainly wasn't.

      Secondly, and most importantly, this documentary is designed to be a humourous and tongue-in-cheek approach to educating Canadians who are woefully under- or uneducated as to the goings-on during the period of history that we portray. It is not a classroom lecture.

      I post this message largely to give all of you the opportunity to watch this and to 'prepare yourself' for its content, which is history disseminated in a humourous vein.

      I will always remember this site's online debate regarding the facial hair of 2 re-enactors shown on the cover of Maclean's Magazine. I didn't mind that debate but it took some time before someone saw past the facial hair and commented that our hobby had just been portrayed in Canada's #1, homegrown newsmagazine. You can't buy that kind of exposure. That same exposure will now occur on CBC TV this Thursday.

      I am well aware of the unique honour that has been bestowed upon me as a member of this hobby and my organization, the UCMRS. Not only do I have the opportunity to educate but, hopefully, I can also recruit new members into our hobby. Re-enactments only educate so many at one time. The opportunity to be part of this show was unique and, speaking personally, something I felt was worthy of participation. Those hardy members of my unit who attended have my heartfelt thanks for their time and effort that oppresively hot and humid day.

      Will someone watch this documentary and ask themselves about the guys in red at Fort George thus encouraging that person want to step forward and give us a try? Will this bring out more people to Queenston Heights or Fort Erie? Who knows, but one thing is as certain as death and taxes; you miss 100% of the shots you never take. And Canadians will learn about our past.

      I hope you watch the show on Thursday. Break out the popcorn, your favourite bevvy and let's have a good laugh here and there. I'll be at Queenston if you want to chat about the show.

      LINK:
      http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/the-war-of-1812-been-there-won-that.html

      Safe travels to all,

      Rob McGuire
      Private,
      1st Regiment (Royal Scots),
      Grenadier Company
      Upper Canada Military
      Re-enactment Society
    • ROB
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2012
        Greetings Again

        Here is a link to an interview with Mr. Keleghan regarding the show on Thursday. There's a interesting portion about his experience and takeaways with his day with us in the field.

        http://www.cbc.ca/live/peter-keleghan-on-the-war-of-1812-been-there-won-that.html

        Cheers
        Rob