Re: 33rd US Infantry Regiment info

  • awhitelion2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2012
      Steve have you reviewed Frederiksen's book for sources on the 33d?
      In the National Archives you could check their Record Grp 92 - particularly their Consolidated Correspondance Files for members of the regiment like the field officers and QM,also Dep Commisaries of Purchases like Langdon [Portsmouth NH] and Stetson [Boston] as well as those in Albany. Also RG 92 Entry 2117 for letters and perhaps issues. I went through about 28 boxes of RG 92 Entry 2118 which are a mix of letters, requisitions, receipts and orders to ship items. This entry is a real mess - each box has various items ranging in date from say 1792 ththrough 1851 - and they are all jammed into the archival boxes in no order at all so you have to look at each item. I spent a week up there last month and while I found some interesting items on several regiments, I found nothing related to the 33d. You could also check on Fold 3, Letters to the Secretary of War for the names of known officers in the regiment and see if you come up with anything there. Happy hunting Tom Dunbar, 23d US