Col. Abolt's Mess at Mississinewa

  • adjutant1812
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012
      An invitation to the Officers of the Crown and American Forces attending Mississinewa.

      In a few short weeks we will gather once again on the banks of the Mississinewa River. I wish to extend the customary invitation to the officers and their ladies to join Col. Abolt on the hill for an officer's mess. This will be held on Saturday evening. The usual circumstances apply. Please bring a bottle of red wine to share with all. Also bring chairs if desired as there will be few in the camp. Light refreshments will be supplied by the Southern Division.

      YHOS

      James Lundgren
      CAPT 7th USI
      Acting Vice of the Southern Division Mess
    • JOHN GREIG
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012
        My dear Capt. Lundgren,
        Please thank Col. Abolt for his kind invitation to his mess at Mississinewa.
        I regret to say, that due to my ill health, my wife and I will not be in the Americas
        this year.
        Please pass our respects to all in attendance. We will raise a glass to you all here
        in England.
        Best wishes.
         Squire John & Lady Eleanor Greig.

        Manor of Titchmarsh in the County of Northamptonshire

        .

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2012
          Please let my old comrade Mssr Abolt know that should I indeed hapenstance to make the climb up his hill he will do well do provide me with a chair and accept whatever beverage I choose to bring. (Steve will get the personal joke).
          Many happy returns to all,
          B. Jennings
          Lt. Col 93rd Highlanders
          Col., 93rd, and Western Division
          Brig Gen., (temp.) Western Campaigns

          PS: Should any take umbrage at my somewhat sarcasm, I am more than happy to accept full return airfare from Los Angeles to IN.
          Wacka wakca, and I have known Steve longer than you...whoever you are. Really.

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
          www.myspace.com/93rdhighlanders
          www.new.facebook.com/people/Sutherland_Highlanders/1120912511
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
            Hurray for Jean Lafitte leading the fray at New Orleans! -- Or...maybe not.

            "Jackson also sent Lafitte to advise Morgan about the possible canals and passages by which the enemy might penetrate the swamps to the city." Brooks, Charles B (1961). "The Siege of New Orleans", page 246. Seattle: University of Washington Press. OCLC 425116. This passage is immediately followed by a reference ("48") which leads to page 309 in the "Notes" section: "48. Henry Adams, "History of the United States of America during the Second Administration of James Madison (New York: Chas. Scribner's Sons, 1904), II, 377-79. Morgan, "General Morgan's Defense," p.24. Latour, "Historical Memoir", pp. 173, 175. "Major Howell Tatum's Journal," pp. 127-28. Gayarre, "History of Louisiana", p. 493. Jackson, "Correspondence", II, 132-33 (Jackson to Morgan, Jan. 8).

            "Only two gun crews of Baratarians, under Dominique You and Renato Beluche, were employed in Line Jackson on Dec 28 and Jan 1 and 8. These were the only Baratarians who saw any action. Jackson sent Lafitte himself with Major Michael Reynolds to "The Temple" on the west bank of the river to secure it. On Dec 25 Lafitte came back in time to make a recommendation to Livingston about extending Line Jackson into the swamp, (34) but he took no other part until Jan 8, when Jackson sent him again to the west bank, to Morgan." (ref 34: Livingston to Jackson, Dec 29, 1814, Jackson Papers, L.C.) Brown, Wilburt S, Major General USMC (Retired) (1969). "The Amphibious Campaign for West Florida and Louisiana, 1814-1815", pages 86-87, University of Alabama Press. ISBN 0817351000.

            "He also dispatched Jean Lafitte to the west bank to help plan a defense against a British advance...". Patterson, Benton Rains "The Generals, Andrew Jackson, Sir Edward Pakenham, and the road to New Orleans". Page 253. 2008 ISBN 0-8147-6717-6 15:05, 8 October 2009 (UTC)

            Just saying.....