Festival at Fort Willow - Fort Willow Depot Historic Site - Minesing, ON - September 14th & 15th/2012

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      Just a reminder that the Festival at Fort Willow will be taking place on
      Friday, September 14th and Saturday September 15th at Fort Willow Depot
      Historic Site located just outside Barrie, ON near Minesing, ON. To date we
      have over 1200 students booked for the Friday Education Day and Saturday is
      our regular public attendance day with great attendance if the weather is
      cooperative. Re-enactors can start to set-up anytime on Thursday, September
      13th after 12:00pm.

      Short description of planned activities:

      On Friday, Sept 14th & Saturday, Sept 15th, 2012 the Township of Springwater
      and the Nottawasaga Conservation Authority will once again be celebrating
      the significance of the Historic Fort Willow Depot by retracing the steps of
      our forefathers/mothers in the development of our communities and to the
      history of Canada.

      The Nine Mile Portage, an ancient native trail, once formed a land bridge
      between Kempenfelt Bay and the Nottawasaga River enabling a continuous trade
      and transportation route from Lake Ontario through to Georgian Bay for many
      centuries. During the War of 1812, the British military improved the route
      for the transport of supplies and personnel as Lake Erie and Huron were
      occupied by the Americans. Following the War, the route remained active and,
      what was known as "the portage landing", grew into the community we know as
      Barrie. Today, you can follow the portage route by starting at Heritage
      Park in downtown Barrie to its terminus at the reconstructed British supply
      depot, Fort Willow, located in Springwater Township.

      Billed as the largest nineteenth century pleasure faire in Simcoe County,
      this heritage extravaganza boasts authentic, hands-on activities and
      entertainment sure to please every generation. Exceptional musicians, period
      uniforms and clothing, foods, beverages, workshops, and story-telling,
      combined with cannon/musket demonstrations, military encampments, a
      voyageur/native area, sutlers and merchants make this an exemplary heritage
      opportunity, not to be missed!

      If anyone is interested in attending this great event and for more
      information please contact me via email at davidbrunelle(at)rogers.com

      David J. Brunelle, OCT

      Project Director

      Southern Georgian Bay

      War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee