Long lost portrait of Captain Richard Bullock, 41st Regt, re-discovered

  • tmolesworth
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 1:14 PM
      Earlier this year, I found an obscure, 80 year old reference to the fact that the Masonic Hall in Brighton, Ontario had a portrait of their founder, Captain Richard Bullock of the 41st Regiment, hanging in their hall as well as his son, the next Master of the Lodge, which would eventually become Lodge #29. The son was not Richard Bullock Jr. unfortunately, but his half brother. Through several phone calls I was able to contact Master Bert Shutler and he did inform me that yes, they still have the portrait of Captain Bullock in his 41st Regiment uniform. He scanned the portrait and e-mailed me the same and then he also colorized the portrait and sent me that as well. This will be featured in my upcoming book on the 41st Regiment.

      Through my 2 trips to the British National Archives in Kew, England, I have come to the belief that Richard Bullock did indeed also rise through the ranks at the same time as Adam Muir. The muster lists from prior to 1798 are very scant as well as in terrible shape. But I did find an April to September, 1792 pay list in which there was a Sgt. Richard Bullock that was absent and he was in Virginia (I assume County Cavan, Ireland). Richard Bullock was appointed Ensign September 8, 1795, about 2 years after Muir.

      I have other finds of portraits of the officers who served with the 41st Regiment in Canada, but since this is "out there" I thought I would let anybody interested know of it's existence on the net.

      Here is a link to see the colorized portrait of Captain Richard Bullock Sr.

      http://www.princeedwardmasons.ca/district-news/2012/6/5/united-lodge-no-29-re-installs-w-bro-bert-shutler-for-second.html