Composition of the US Regular Army

  • sabre1183
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2012
      Greetings all!

      I have a quick question for some research I am doing--what was the composition of the Regular US army before war was declared in June 1812? I am interested in numbers of Infantry/Artillery/Rifle regiments. I know there were a total of 48 Infantry regiments by the end of the war, so when were the additional units added? Thanks so much!

      Best Regards,
      Travis Bennett
      23rd US Infantry
    • awhitelion2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012
        Travis - I should have read the second part of your question! Infantry regiments numbered 8 through 17, 2d and 3d Arty and the 2d Light Dragoons were added in Jan 1812 and infantry regiments 18 through 26 were added at the end of June 1812. I've seen some period references to the newly added 1812 regiments being called the additional army. Fredericksen's book ccovers the dates all 40 plus units were authorized [ which unfortunately I don't have in front of me right now!]
        Tom Dunbar

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sabre1183" <sabre1183@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all!
        >
        > I have a quick question for some research I am doing--what was the composition of the Regular US army before war was declared in June 1812? I am interested in numbers of Infantry/Artillery/Rifle regiments. I know there were a total of 48 Infantry regiments by the end of the war, so when were the additional units added? Thanks so much!
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Travis Bennett
        > 23rd US Infantry

      • awhitelion2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012
          I thought I had posted the answer to the first part of your question, but I guess I didn't hit "Send"!
          In 1808 the armty was increased so that there were one artillery regiment, one regiment of light dragoons, one rifle regiment and infantry regiments numbered 1-7.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sabre1183" <sabre1183@...> wrote:

          > Greetings all!
          >
          > I have a quick question for some research I am doing--what was the composition of the Regular US army before war was declared in June 1812? I am interested in numbers of Infantry/Artillery/Rifle regiments. I know there were a total of 48 Infantry regiments by the end of the war, so when were the additional units added? Thanks so much!
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Travis Bennett
          > 23rd US Infantry

        • awhitelion2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2012
            AND of course the Regiment of Light Artillery [ Idon't want anyone rolling cannonballs at me!] Tom Dunbar