1812 Re: Pike Exercise Question- Present

  • shayna121
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
      I think that Jason is on the right track. No one seems to have seen a drill manual containing the present arms for pikes, so period pictures would be the next best source of information.

      I have been debating whether the details of this picture are clear enough or not, but I'll let you decide: http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/image-461-eng.asp?page_id=526. This sketch is 'Scenes at Laprairie' and there is a Serjeant in the background. The pike is held vertically in front of the left thigh, and the left arm is bent. This looks to me like he is presenting arms with his pike in the same manner as if he had a musket.

      Chris