Re: 1812 Re: Pike Exercise Question- Present

  • Iain Burns
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
      Thanks, Peter, I did find that on Googlebooks. My comment about the Norfolk Militia drill is in reference to the Halbred drill from that manual being the same as the Pike Drill from "A Treatise..." in that both leave out any mention for Present Arms with the Halbred/Pike.

      Aye,
      Iain

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
        Which in turn were taken directly from Tom's lecture at the Living History Conference the year before. :)

        Chris

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <colin.pinn@...> wrote:
        his presentation on Saluting and Compliments.

        > The saluting movement I was referring to was taken from his notes and handouts.
        >
        > Sorry for any confusion,
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Colin

      • Jason Everett
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
          Many years ago I was in a used bookshop and naturally headed for the history section, with British history being one on my top list.

          There was a big hardcover book on the history of England. On the dustjacket was a reproduction of an original painting of a Napoleonic era British Volunteer unit. They were parading on a beach in open order.

          While the figures were small as a good part of the Battalion was included, you could make out several details. The the officers were out front saluting, the rank and file presenting, as were the Pioneers on the right (with axes). The pikes were all upright. (Don't recall being able to make out what the sergeants' other hand might have been doing.)

          Very tempted, but the rest of the book while it appeared interesting, wasn't quite worth the asking price. If I did scribble down the title of either painting or book, I lost the paper. But it was a striking detail that I haven't forgotten.

          YHOS,
          R. Jason Everett
          Incorp'd Militia
        • tom4141fournier
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2012
            I was waiting for that to come back to haunt me ...the joys of travel and trying to work on the fly!

            "shayna121" >
            > Which in turn were taken directly from Tom's lecture at the Living History Conference the year before. :)
            >
            > Chris

          • shayna121
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012
              I think that Jason is on the right track. No one seems to have seen a drill manual containing the present arms for pikes, so period pictures would be the next best source of information.

              I have been debating whether the details of this picture are clear enough or not, but I'll let you decide: http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/image-461-eng.asp?page_id=526. This sketch is 'Scenes at Laprairie' and there is a Serjeant in the background. The pike is held vertically in front of the left thigh, and the left arm is bent. This looks to me like he is presenting arms with his pike in the same manner as if he had a musket.

              Chris