Sault Ste. Marie

  • CyrusWakefield.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 6:13 AM
      I used to think of Sault Ste. Marie as being at the end of the earth, or somewhere close. It turns out it is a very civilized place full of friendly people - especially those who staged the signature four day 1812 event at the Ermatinger / Clergue National Historic Site. Although only a humble sutler, I - and all the others venturing north from the Center of the Universe (Toronto and surrounds) were treated like a Rock Gods. Spoiled, actually. They had volunteers to set us up, take us down, pack things away, like having your very own "roadies". They fed us three squares a day and they even put us up in name brand hotels. We were provided with entertainment from the Hardtackers, the Zoom Daddies and Faire Wynds ( a marvellous magician). So I want to thank Dave Brunelle, Kathy Fisher and the War of 1812 Algoma committee, and all the hard working volunteers - they had lots of them - for some of the best organization and hosting I have had the pleasure to be the recipient of. Well done and cheers to all who made it happen.

      Sutler Cyrus
    • annbwass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31 7:11 AM
        "I used to think of Sault Ste. Marie as being at the end of the earth, or somewhere close. It turns out it is a very civilized place full of friendly people" [snip]

        I think what you see here is the advantage of doing an event in a place that might not be the largest metropolitan area. It is easier to get buy-in from locals to go all out to support the event. We, on the other hand, are in a major metropolitan area where we have to compete with dozens, if not hundreds, of lots of other events and causes.

        But anyway--congrats, all! Sounds like great fun.

        Ann Wass
      • Pauline Grondin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
          I totally agree with Sutler Cyrus regarding our wonderful four day experience at Sault Ste. Marie. I, however, felt more like royalty than Jeff's rock star persona. We were fed, watered and waited on from the moment we pulled into the parking lot which was a short distance from the site. Volunteers with wheel barrows and willingness helped us set up camp and then tear down on Sunday. My favourites...Merryl Lynn, Paul, Patrick and Kelsey! I did have my own roadies who made sure my instruments were safely tucked into the house at the end of the day and then delivered to me with a smile the next morning. One volunteer, who happens to also be a good friend, made sure there was a large Tim's green tea at my tent every morning. The local Metis visited me with their news from the north. Pauline, Kathy, Louise, and staff, David and some fifty four ( I believe the number was ) volunteers made sure we had the best experience possible. Jeff forgot to mention Stephen Fuller, our wandering minstrel with fiddle, in the entertainment and the lovely lady who called the dances to his music. What a joy to return to an air conditioned hotel room with shower at the end of the day. I disagree with the response of Ann Wass. I live in a small community. While the Sault might not be the largest of metropolitan areas there were volunteers and visitors from various communities in the surrounding area. There was no more of a "buy-in" from locals or support from the community than we experience in numerous other well organized events. The competition to this event was the local faire down the road complete with rides and entertainment on going the whole time were were camped. However, many people still dropped by to visit. Because Algoma 1812 was a small event, there were 200 of us, we were closer to those wonderful organizers, volunteers, and food and care providers. We made many friends we hope to meet up with again! Pauline Voices of the Past

          www.paulinegrondin.com

        • annbwass@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
            Pauline--I think you missed my point. I'm saying that smaller venues, such as this, often get more cooperation from local businesses, for example, and that is GREAT! Obviously, this whole thing was a really big deal to the city and surrounding area--again, I think that is GREAT! I've been laboring in the 1812 vineyard for 17 years now, and we just can't count on such support here--as I said, we have hundreds, if not thousands, of groups vying for the attention and dollars of potential sponsors.

            Ann Wass

            I totally agree with Sutler Cyrus regarding our wonderful four day experience at Sault Ste. Marie. [snip]
          • Soo
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
              Naw Ann. That's just the way we do it up north! :-)

              Sue Too