Re: [WarOf1812] hard tack

  • The Bosse Family
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 9, 2000
      The way you make Hard tack taste better is 1 of 2 ways (Billings talks about these in his book)
      1, mash the pieces in left over coffee and eat (It is as gross as it sounds)
      2, use as a Dumpling type device in stew (not too bad if someone makes stew)
      3, Fry in left over bacon/salt pork grease (A real cholestral speed ball but also the most tastey). If you do this watch carefully because when hard tack burns it is really vile.
      4, Wait for "Nature" to tenderize. Just rember to eat in the dark or keep your eyes closed. That way you get your protien too!

      Happy eating (Told you guys I was with a real hard core unit)
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 9, 2000
        Kevin wrote:

        >Truly though I could not fathom choking down 9 of those a day! Does any
        >one know what they did to make it taste better?

        Andrew writes:

        I usually leave mine in my haversack over the winter for that stale
        tobacco-ish linen seasoning! Yummy!

        Pte. Andrew Bateman, 1/41st Reg't

      • The Bosse Family
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 9, 2000
          Billings wrote a book about his time served in the US Army during the Civil War. No battle accounts nothing but how camp life and campaining was like during the war. The name of the book is "Hardtack and Coffee". It may be written about life in 1863 if you "campain style" you find if you do what he says he did you can survive in horrible weather and eating horrible food. If you do not do what he did during the war, you freeze and starve. Really a good book highly recommended.

          Dave Bosse
          Americas Friend
          The way you make Hard tack taste better is 1 of 2 ways
          (Billings talks about these in his book)

          who is Billings ?
          _____________________________
          mash the pieces in left over coffee

          why not just put it in your coffee while
          you make it....voila "Breakfast" !
          _____________________________
          use as a Dumpling type device in stew
          (not too bad if someone makes stew)

          In 1812 it seams, STEW was the food!
          ...so if you ain't makin' Stew,
          you ain't 1812
          ________________________________
          Fry in left over bacon/salt pork grease

          This sounds like American Civil War as
          I was not aware that 1812 soliders had bacon
          or pork grease.....I understood the diet was
          beef, cheese, bread ( no sign of hardtack!)
          and of course BOOZE ! Rum Jim, Rum....
          (hey you movie guys Disney's Treasure Island!)
          _________________________________

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 9, 2000
            In a message dated 09/3/2000 4:34:28 PM, lalozon@... writes:

            << Hard tack is made to give to the Spectators (Town'ers)

            who visit your camp sight!!!!!!!

            Not to be eaten by us!! >>

            Not if you want to keep your insurance!!
            (Mommy, I feel sick after eatin' that funny bread....)
            ;-)
          • MAXINE TROTTIER
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 9, 2000
              Maxine Trottier
              maxitrot@...
              http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

            • The Bosse Family
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 10, 2000
                Ah,
                very true Larry but the common solders plight changed very little. Bad food, wool uniforms, trying to keep warm and camp jokes probably had not changed much in 40 years. Really give the book a read, and you will find things to make your campaing eaiser. I still eat Hardtack and do not use a sleeping bag because I followed what Billings told me to do. I rember one night at a event I got lazy and did not heed his advice and.... I did freeze!

                Dave Bosse
                Americas Friend
                From: "Mark Holland" <markholland@...>
                The Trail Magazine has a recipe for ships bread.

                URL is: http://www.ottmagazine.com/feature.htm

                Have any of you visited this web site?
                you should check it out the recipe for
                'Ships Bread'
                it says:

                "Place them in the oven at 3500 degrees until golden brown."

                I have never seen an oven or camp-fire that hot.
                but, I know when they make glass ........?!??!!
                They do say however,

                "When you are cooking a stew or soup, break up ..... into small
                pieces. Add them to the pot. Let it boil .... until they are somewhat
                soft.
                Another way is which the Prussian Army...1740. They boiled the
                bread in salted water until it was soft like a bread pudding."

                ........sort a'like 1812'ers eh !?!?

              • The Bosse Family
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 10, 2000
                  Larry,
                  I always make my Hardtack in advance. But I will try the Prussian method this year.

                  Dave Bosse
                  Americas Friend

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 10, 2000
                    From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>

                    From: "The Bosse Family" <monga589@...>

                    Billings wrote a book about his time served in the US
                    Army during the Civil War.

                    Ah ha! David I was correct "American Civil War" !!!!!!!

                    Larry,
                    Ever remember hearing what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Don"t believe there were too many restaurants in 1812. Yet you suggest them as a replacement for hard tack. ???? Perhaps you should not be so fast to cast stones. Survival during desperate times takes grit no matter what the era.
                    Humble camp follower,
                    Nona

                    From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>

                    From: "The Bosse Family" <monga589@...>

                    Billings wrote a book about his time served in the US
                    Army during the Civil War.

                    Ah ha! David I was correct "American Civil War" !!!!!!!

                    We are an 1812 List, that Army would not exist for another
                    40 or so years ......."does not Compute"

                    Now if you had used "2nd Rising" the cookbook from
                    Fort Niagara ...well ..........................
                    _____________________________________

                    No battle accounts nothing but how camp life and
                    campaining was like during the war.

                    again.......David, wrong War!
                    _____________________________________

                    The name of the book is "Hardtack and Coffee".

                    Not really used by 1812 soldiers!
                    maybe ......" Beef and Beer".... would fit.
                    ______________________________________

                    It may be written about life in 1863 if you "campain style"
                    you find if you do what he says he did you can survive in
                    horrible weather and eating horrible food.

                    We are 21st Century Re-enactors, I know of only 3 guys
                    who really do it "like they did".
                    And..... they do it like the period they are portraying,
                    not 40 or 70 years in the future!

                    If you do not do what he did during the war, you freeze and
                    starve. Really a good book highly recommended.

                    David, we go to re-enactments, we are given meals or fixin's
                    .............. we are not going to starve,
                    I know of (again) only 3 guys who..........
                    sleep out in the cold,
                    so following an American Civil War book
                    at an 1812 event ..........

                    well ...... you do the math.......

                  • Nona
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 10, 2000
                      Dave, Although I be the woman, you are welcome anyway.
                      humble camp follower. Nona
                      You the man! thats all I was trying to say.

                      Dave Bosse
                      Americas Friend

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 10, 2000
                          Sorry,
                          well you know what i meant

                          Dave Bosse
                          Americas Friend

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 11, 2000
                            --- ninety3rd@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 09/3/2000 4:34:28 PM,
                            > lalozon@... writes:
                            >
                            > << Hard tack is made to give to the Spectators
                            > (Town'ers)
                            >
                            > who visit your camp sight!!!!!!!
                            >

                            > Not to be eaten by us!! >>
                            >
                            > Not if you want to keep your insurance!!
                            > (Mommy, I feel sick after eatin' that funny
                            > bread....)

                            This reminds me of an event about ten years ago. I was
                            showing & explaining to a group of boy scouts the gear
                            carried by the common soldier (another time period
                            which will go unnamed) and had a bowl of biscuit on
                            display. The scouts jumped on the rations like they
                            were starving. Most of the guys wisely turned their
                            noses in disgust, but one particularly corpulent lad
                            enjoyed the dried bread with gusto. I continued with
                            my presentation, when all of a sudden this kid gets a
                            funny look on his face and says,"Hey!!!" and spits a
                            tooth out on the ground in front of us.
                            His fellow scouts roared.
                            I quietly disappeared amongst the sea of white tents
                            and changed clothes.

                            Dan

                            http://im.yahoo.com
                          • The Bosse Family
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 12, 2000
                              Okay guys and gals....
                              Before we all give up on eating hardtack in the field. My 2 year old daughter went into our freezer for a snack. She came out with a 6 or 7 year old piece of hardtack (Mechanical Bakery, Peoria ILL, Very hard nastey stuff). She took this piece and would not give it up and even refused raisins and teddy ghrams! She just nawed this piece of hardtack.

                              From the mouths of babes.........
                              Dave Bosse
                              Americas Friend

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2000
                                >From: Dan <musketballs@...>

                                (snip)
                                >This reminds me of an event about ten years ago. I was
                                >showing & explaining to a group of boy scouts the gear
                                >carried by the common soldier (another time period
                                >which will go unnamed) and had a bowl of biscuit on
                                >display. The scouts jumped on the rations like they
                                >were starving. Most of the guys wisely turned their
                                >noses in disgust, but one particularly corpulent lad
                                >enjoyed the dried bread with gusto. I continued with
                                >my presentation, when all of a sudden this kid gets a
                                >funny look on his face and says,"Hey!!!" and spits a
                                >tooth out on the ground in front of us.
                                >His fellow scouts roared.
                                >I quietly disappeared amongst the sea of white tents
                                >and changed clothes.

                                I had a similar experience during a school day two years ago. I was
                                portraying a soldier on the trail and stopped in shade for my lunch. Some
                                young teen girls came over (down boys!) and asked what I was eating. They
                                were particularly eager to try my dried biscuit so I obliged them. I
                                waited till each was chewing a mouthful and then explained the potential
                                for chewy bits and unexpected protein found in maggots. Most just sprayed
                                the contents out of their mouths but one girl's eyes literally crossed as
                                she stepped about, head and neck bobbing like a pigeon till with one mighty
                                gulp she swallowed the hard tack. Thought I was gonna die!

                                Ah, and you wonder why I love to work school days at events.

                                Sadistically yours,

                                Michael

                                Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
                                ------------------------------
                                "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the
                                opportunity in every difficulty." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
                              • Scott McDonald
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2000
                                  >I had a similar experience during a school day two years ago. I was
                                  >portraying a soldier on the trail and stopped in shade for my lunch. Some
                                  >young teen girls came over (down boys!) and asked what I was eating. They
                                  >were particularly eager to try my dried biscuit so I obliged them. I
                                  >waited till each was chewing a mouthful and then explained the potential
                                  >for chewy bits and unexpected protein found in maggots. Most just sprayed
                                  >the contents out of their mouths but one girl's eyes literally crossed as
                                  >she stepped about, head and neck bobbing like a pigeon till with one mighty
                                  >gulp she swallowed the hard tack. Thought I was gonna die!
                                  >
                                  >Ah, and you wonder why I love to work school days at events.
                                  >
                                  >Sadistically yours,
                                  >
                                  >Michael

                                  As a Nelson era sailor said..."black-headed maggots were fat and cold, but
                                  not bitter...like weevils" yum yum
                                  Scott McD.
                                • The Bosse Family
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2000
                                    On that subject
                                    A poor soilder wrote home and said he would eat his Hardtack in the dark and try to put out of his mind the "creatures swimming between his teeth".

                                    God Bless the Republic!
                                    Dave Bosse