Queenston Heights Registration

  • lenthecooper
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 15, 2012
      Hello all,
      Any word on what is happening with the on-line registration for Queenston Heights in Oct? The link is '404 not-found.'
      http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration
      I'd like to register my unit.
      Cheers,
      Len Heidebrecht
      York Volunteers
    • Donald Duncan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 15, 2012
        Hi Len

        This one worked for me.

        http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

        Don Duncan
        Captain 16th New York Volunteers

        On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM, lenthecooper <lheidebrecht@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello all,
        > Any word on what is happening with the on-line registration for Queenston
        > Heights in Oct?
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2012
          I was at Queenston earlier this month. Presumably they are not using the actual Redan Gun site for the reenactment as it is surrounded by trees. The parks commission needs to hire some historians and loggers to restore the battlefield to its original condition.

          I could not find the original path Captain Wool's troops used to climb the heights, presumably it has been lost to erosion?

          Brian

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Donald Duncan <bonehorn1837@...> wrote:

          > Hi Len
          >
          > This one worked for me.
          >
          > http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html
          >
          > Don Duncan
          > Captain 16th New York Volunteers
          >
          > On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM, lenthecooper <lheidebrecht@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello all,
          > > Any word on what is happening with the on-line registration for Queenston
          > > Heights in Oct?

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2012
            Hello

            There are a lot of trees on the Heights, it's true, but last year we (actually Niagara Parks Forestry Division) removed dozens, if not hundreds, of trees from the heights that were considered evasive species. We replaced railings a few more steps back from the brink of the gorge, fixed drainage and re-covered a portion of the path/Portage Road damaged by run-off. There is much more work to do, including the replacement of stolen plaques and perhaps a preventative move for the 1906 plaque honouring Lt Col MacDonell.

            Much of the planning for the event is being taken on by the Friends of Fort George and the Niagara-on-the-Lake Bicentennial committee.

            After discussions with both sides of the hobby, the battle will take place on top of the heights at the west end of the park. The intent is to recreate the different stages of the battle. Yes, a particular British General will not survive.

            The formal dinner in the Queenston Heights Restaurant is 80% full. You must call the restaurant to make a booking.

            For more information: check out
            http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

            We will be allowing ball ammunition, providing early 19th century surgeons (you know who you are)and encouraging people to find the fisherman's path. I will personally smash out Mrs Secords windows so the 49th Grens and some of the Lincolns can fight through the village against the 6th US, 13th US and New York Militia. After Fort George, I have concerns about the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (you know who you are). Finally, we are going to blow up the monument; certainly not a new idea. (all this last bit wasn't true, well we won't blow up the monument - again... but there will be cool fireworks)

            Jim

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <hearndenb@...> wrote:

            > I was at Queenston earlier this month. Presumably they are not using the actual Redan Gun site for the reenactment as it is surrounded by trees. [snip]
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 19, 2012
              Apologies, that would be 'invasive' species. 'Evasive' species would be trees that are trying to hide.
              Jim

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jhill@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > There are a lot of trees on the Heights, it's true, but last year we (actually Niagara Parks Forestry Division) removed dozens, if not hundreds, of trees from the heights that were considered evasive species. [snip]
            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 19, 2012
                Perhaps in the vegetation?

                Tom

                _____

                Apologies, that would be 'invasive' species. 'Evasive' species would be
                trees that are trying to hide.
                Jim

              • peter monahan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 19, 2012
                  Actually, I believe the commonest evasive species in Canada are native to Ottawa and Toronto, though there are almost certainly a few in the Niagara peninsula!

                  Peter
                  ***********************

                  Perhaps in the vegetation?

                  Tom
                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 19, 2012
                    I can't see the forest for the trees anyways.

                    Mark D

                    Apologies, that would be 'invasive' species. 'Evasive' species would be
                    trees that are trying to hide.
                    Jim

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                  • Ross Flowers
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
                      Perhaps the "evasive" species were trying to avoid being removed? :-)

                      "Drums"

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jhill@...> wrote:

                      > Apologies, that would be 'invasive' species. 'Evasive' species would be trees that are trying to hide.
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jhill@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello
                      > >
                      > > There are a lot of trees on the Heights, it's true, but last year we (actually Niagara Parks Forestry Division) removed dozens, if not hundreds, of trees from the heights that were considered evasive species. [snip]

                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                        It wouldn't be the first party we've closed down!

                        I'll save a seat for you Jim and we can apologize in the morning...

                        Kevin

                        RNR

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 19, 2012
                          Hello All

                          With less than a month to go, we have about 800 people registered for the Queenston Heights 200th.

                          If your unit is registered, thank you. There are a number of large units that may still be planning. For the sake of organizers on both sides of the border, please get your information in. Only unit commanders are required to register their group but up-dates are also helpful, simply indicate it is an up-date. Please read the entire package on the site before submitting any information. It may seem confusing but most of the information you need is there for Lewiston, Fort George and Queenston Heights.

                          Those who don't register will be provided with an amazing authentic experience. Lovingly flogged, carefully shot, gingerly scapled and then dumped into the Niagara Gorge.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 20, 2012
                            "Those who don't register will be provided with an amazing authentic experience. Lovingly flogged, carefully shot, gingerly scapled and then dumped into the Niagara Gorge"

                            Jim The Drums are standing ready to administer the flogging..at least until moral improves:-)

                            "Drums"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 21, 2012
                              In the immortal words of Montgomery Burns - "Excellent".

                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Flowers" <drums1812@...> wrote:

                              > "Those who don't register will be provided with an amazing authentic experience. Lovingly flogged, carefully shot, gingerly scapled and then dumped into the Niagara Gorge"
                              >

                              > Jim The Drums are standing ready to administer the flogging..at least until moral improves:-)
                              >
                              > "Drums"

                            • Diane
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 2, 2012
                                Did you get the IMUC registration - just checking because it was sent awhile ago

                              • peter monahan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 2, 2012
                                  Yes, Paul Kelly sent me something recently.

                                  Peter Monahan

                                  petemonahan@...
                                  705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 2, 2012
                                    Just to clarify for the group.

                                    There is only one registration form for all activities related to the Battle of Queenston Heights event on both sides of the border.

                                    http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

                                    If you sent an e-mail to me, or Peter Monahan or Lee Simonson or Bob Bloggins of Upper Ipswich - you have not registered your unit.

                                    Jim Hill
                                    (To answer the original question - The IMUC are registered at http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html)

                                    Did I mention? http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

                                    See you on the Heights.