Odd question re: swords

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2012
      All,

      Pardon my ignorance here, but can anyone tell me how a British 1796 pattern
      Light cavalry saber might have been carried? Was it worn on a waist belt,
      on a baldric or attached to the saddle? Can anyone point me towards images
      here?

      --
      John J. Ogden

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2012
        Hi John:Try Brian Fosten, "Wellington's Light Cavalry" in the Men at Arms series by Osprey. It contains dozens of contemporary images. All show the sabre being carried on a waist belt, whether the trooper is mounted or not.RegardsRay H
      • Scott Hughes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2012
          John
          It was carried on a white buff belt, two straps come off the left side of the belt to attached to rings on the sword scabbard.

          Scott Hughes
          14th Light Dragoons

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2012
            Thank you. Anyone have any thoughts on the repro offered by Cold Steel?