RE: War of 1812 Researcher for Hire in Ottawa

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
      Gareth

      How many free questions do I get before the meter starts running?

      Seriously, though. Part of the master plan for the bi-centennial is me writing a book on the Royal Newfs in the war of 1812. I have the quarterly muster rolls but so far am floundering a bit in trying to pin down where they were and in what numbers on any given day/week/month. Some of the documents I've found on line are letters and general orders which will say, for example, "2 companies sent to Kingston" [July or August 1812, I think] but so far I haven't found a general listing of which units and part units were where.

      Also, for the future, I'd be interested in land grant info. The RNR were demobbed in August and Sept. 1815 and the pay records suggest that over half got land grants but the only details are either "Nova Scotia" or "Upper Canada". How easy is it to get better detail than that?

      Let me know about rates too, if possible with such vague queries. Thanks! BTW, I hear youse guys looked real good on Canada Day. Congrats.

      Peter Monahan

      petemonahan@...
      705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > From: gnfield@...
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:59:54 +0000
      > Subject: War of 1812 Researcher for Hire in Ottawa
      >
      > Greetings list,
      >
      > With the Bicentennial now under way, I wanted to announce the availability of my professional research services to any individuals or reenactment units which may be interested.
      >
      > I have a background in archival research and museology, and have worked as a researcher for the Canadian War Museum, and as a historian with Parks Canada. I live in downtown Ottawa, ON a short distance from Library and Archives Canada. My particular specialty is British and Canadian military units of the War of 1812, but have undertaken research commissions on subjects including:
      >
      > - uniforms & equipment
      > - muster rolls, pay lists & returns
      > - military correspondence
      > - maps, plans and iconography
      > - service records, pensions and land grants
      > - Misc. genealogical research
      >
      > Scope and terms of research are negotiable between myself and prospective clients.
      >
      > Interested parties may contact me via: gnfield@...
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Gareth Newfield
      > Crown Forces Drums & 7/60th (Royal American) Regt.
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > War of 1812 Living History:
      > A wide-ranging information exchange
      > for all participants and supporters

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      >
      > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Diane Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
        Hey, folks. Please "Like" my When was the War of 1812? Facebook page

        https://www.facebook.com/WhenWasTheWarOf1812#

        ~~Diane Williams

      • Diane Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2012
          Please help fund this great video project! It's a painless way to learn some history & have fun. Thanks so much.

          http://www.indiegogo.com/War1812Quiz?a=374822

          I hope to be taking a lot of people to lunch. :-)

          ~~Diane Williams
          Annandale, Virginia, USA
          Writer/Producer/Director