Re: 1812 Spain Trip : Oliver Claffey - MODERATOR

  • Chris Pohlkamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2012
      This is a spam/scam.
      Be careful.

      --------------
      Moderator here. While the warning is appreciated, repeating the entire spam/scam message is never a good idea, especially if there are any links in the original message ( which of course this one didn't have).

      What I find interesting in this instance is the "1812 Spain Trip": a customized spam message!

      Over the past year or so, I have not been "un-moderating" new group members. In fact I have found myself putting existing members on moderated status, for a number of reasons.

      One reason is illustrated by this message: someone's email has been compromised and spam has been sent to the list.

      The other major reason has been people who persistently fail to trim their messages when replying to material already posted to the list. Very irritating, especially to digest readers... and not an efficient way to address the exact points of the prior message one is responding to.

      The downsides of putting someone on moderated status are two-fold.

      First, it is an irritating chore for a moderator (mainly me but there are several other moderators of this list who cover for me when I'm unavailable) to then trim down the moderated messages for the poster. However, such is the price I am willing to pay to be lord and sovereign of this list... ;>)

      Secondly, when a topic gets "hot", responses and contributions from moderated persons will not be "immediate" as there can be a time lag in getting a moderated message approved. The reason I mention this is because some members don't seem to realize this and will post the same message multiple times, getting puzzled at the delay. Sorry, but that's life when a list has moderated messages.

      I have seriously considered making moderated messages the group setting. This is the only way the type of spam generated by Oliver Claffey's compromised email address can be caught. Oliver has been a member of this group now for many years and before this incident, was in "excellent" standing with its moderators... For that matter, he still is. Unfortunately, his email has been compromised...

      If anyone has any strong feelings or ideas one way or the other about this situation, I would welcome them. As it is, I hope it is merely an occasionally irritating occurrence we can live with.

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2012
        Jim, I think this would slow down the discussion on things greatly, though would cut down on the needless "me too"� posts.

        For some messages, if I no longer care to read the topic, I make liberal use of the delete key!

        We don't have to read everything... and I think almost everyone on the list can recognise spam without a thousand messages stating "it' spam"�, this I know everyone is doing it with the best of intentions.

        Kevin

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Pohlkamp

        This is a spam/scam.
        Be careful.

        If anyone has any strong feelings or ideas one way or the other about this situation, I would welcome them. As it is, I hope it is merely an occasionally irritating occurrence we can live with.

        Jim Yaworsky
        Moderator

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2012
          Just to be clear, we don't censor posts. A "me too" post that replies to and includes a long initial message will merely have the irrelevant parts of the long initial message snipped out.

          A person who wants to post something that the moderators might not personally agree with will not have their message edited in any way, other than removing surplus verbiage from prior messages that have been needlessly included when the author hit the "reply" button and didn't snip the prior messages properly.

          The delete key is indeed your friend when the poster is someone you find irritating or unreliable, or the thread being discussed is of no interest to you.

          Jim Yaworsky