Stoney Creek - Thank You!

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
      Good morning list!

      When I was loading my van on Friday afternoon in the driving rain, and then drove through rain all the way to Stoney Creek, I must admit I was dreading the weekend as I was anticipating fields of mud and wet misery all weekend. The weather forecasts sure seemed to support that!

      I am not sure how it happened but other than a brief shower before most were up on Sunday morning and then another one that lasted 5 minutes just before the Sunday afternoon battle, it was a totally dry weekend!

      It was so nice to see so many reenactors out to support this fine event. The British camp was tight in its new venue but it also was a very effective interpretation of a military camp with no gaps and teeming with activity.

      We all had to flex and make accomodations due to the landscaping down on the site and it was incredible to see how adaptable and resilient reenactors are as a community!

      Congratulations to Susan Ramsay and her staff. It was a wonderful event.

      Also thank you to our friends who volunteer for the event, those who I know personally like Alex, Lawrence and Wes - we appreciate you giving up your opportunity to reenact on this weekend to tirelessly support us for the weekend.

      Another big thank you goes to the organizing committee members who are busy with their own responsibilities but are also everywhere through the weekend attending to our needs and helping to solve problems - Peter, Craig and Sioux ...you are all amazing!

      I know I have missed many but I hope it does not diminish our appreciation!

      Congratulations to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment of Fencible Infantry on the dedication of their beautiful Stand of Colours. The ceremony was outstanding and it was with great pride that we marched under your Colours on Sunday.

      Now we can all look towards an incredible 200th celebration in 2013!

      Truly I remain,

      Your most humble and obedient Servant,

      Tom Fournier, Captain
      41st Regiment of Foot
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
        On behalf of the members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, I would like to
        give a big thank you to all of the organisers for this year's Battle of
        Stoney Creek!

        It looked like it was going to be a weekend of rain, rain, and more rain,
        but surprisingly it wasn't! Beautiful weather, and most went home with dry
        canvas! (except for the few that remained after 5 on Sunday)

        I would like to thank all of the Companies for supporting us and coming to
        the Dedication of our Colours. I would like to thank Peter Monahan for
        blessing the Colours, the Drum Major, Ross Flowers, and the Drums Crown
        Forces, for giving us a nice stack of drums, a great pair of Ensigns, and an
        exceptional Colour Serjeant to parade around our Colours!

        Thank you to Serjeant Major Steve Hartwick, for shepherding the Ensigns
        through the service, and to the rest of the Crown Forces staff for handing
        the parade over to me.

        Before I forget. Marie, it was so good to see you this weekend, we need to
        do this more than once every 5 years!

        Thank to the NCOs and soldiers under my command from the #7 Company of the
        Royal Newfoundland Regiment. It was great to have such a large turnout!
        You make my job too easy! Thanks for letting me drive such a large red
        machine!

        Lastly, thanks for all the well wishes as I start my new career! It is nice
        to know that not only are we a re-enactment society, but we are also a
        family that truly cares about the welfare of each other.

        I will see many of you at the Flight of the Royal George in Bath Ontario,
        and we will catch up there about my first 2 weeks on the job!

        Kevin Windsor

        Royal Newfoundland Regiment (recreated)

      • HAROLD DENNISON
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
          Well said, Tom. That about sums it it up.
          It's unfortunate that the education day on Friday was washed out but clearly....that was the price for an awesome event.

          Hal Dennison

          [snip]
          It was so nice to see so many reenactors out to support this fine event. [snip]
          Tom Fournier, Captain
          41st Regiment of Foot