Re: New Book and Computer Game

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2012
      I have a game here called "Imperial Glory". It deals with the war in Europe, but the graphics are really good and fighting a battle using infantry, cavalry, and artillery can be very challenging. An excellent game.

      Cheers!
      Mike Jansen

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelK" <mkinney1835@...> wrote:

      > There is a computer game. Called The War of 1812, The Conquest of Canada "by HPS. It is fairly realistic though some battles like Longwoods have the order of battle expanded to make a more interesting battle at that scale. It does add to my understanding of these battles.
      >
      > Mike Kinney

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
        List:A new book has been recently published on English society at the time of the War of 1812.
        R. & L. Adkins, Jane Austen's England. Viking/Penguin, 2013. ISBN 978-0-670-78584-1.
        For a 422-page book, it is not very expensive [29.50 CDN]. It covers a wide range of features of England society at the time, and is quite well illustrated [in b-w]. It contains twelve chapters covering wedding traditions; "breeding"; young people; notions of "home"; Fashion and dirt; religion; wealth; leisure; travel; crime; medicine. It is very well written by two award-winning historians, and I recommend it.
        End of summer reading, perhaps. I shall be taking my copy to the cottage tomorrow.
        Have a good rest of summer. See many of you at the Battle of the Thames.
        Yrs etc.Ray Hobbs

      • annwass2000
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
          Sounds like a treat. Hope the fashion section is accurate--amazing how often writers don't get that right.

          Ann Wass

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
            Ann: There are some contemporary engravings from the first decade of the century, and a little before. It is surprising to me how varied the men's clothing is, and fascinating to see a bricklayer on a wooden scaffold laying bricks wearing an overcoat, hat and trousers. There is also an old man in a bookstore wearing clothes which come from forty years before the engraving. The clerk is wearing time-appropriate dress. Lots of goodies in the book.Ray

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            From: annbwass@...
            Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400
            Subject: Re: 1812 New Book

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
              Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

              With Regards

              Mark

              ________________________________

              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              From: annbwass@...
              Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

            • john.matthew@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 15, 2013
                It is available at Amazon.co.uk:
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eavesdropping-Jane-Austen%C2%92s-England-ancestors/dp/1408703963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376615053&sr=8-1&keywords=Jane+Austen%27s+England

                John Matthew IV

                ________________________________
                Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

                With Regards

                Mark

              • JOHN GREIG
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16, 2013
                   The book is available at amazon.uk   I bought one yesterday.
                  .
                  John Greig

                  Northamptonshire.  UK

                  To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                  From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com
                  Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16, 2013
                    Many thanks I have already spotted one there! Might try Waterstones first.

                    With Regards

                    Mark

                    To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                    From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com