New Book

  • Soo
    Message 1 of 15 , May 28, 2012
      I just finished reading "Hoping for the Best, Preparing for the Worst: Everyday Life in Upper Canada, 1812-1814",by Dorothy Duncan, Toronto: Dundurn, 2012.

      Dorothy is best known as a culinary historian, but this book is an interesting insight into civilian life.

      Sue Too
    • tom4141fournier
      Message 2 of 15 , May 28, 2012
        Dorothy is also speaking at the annual meeting of the Ontario Historical Society in the same rotation as some other guy speaking about the War of 1812. Details can be found at:

        http://www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca/en/2012__A_Year_In_History_167/Event_Information_646

        Message 3 of 15 , May 29, 2012
          Darn! Wish I was closer.

          Sue Too

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tom4141fournier" <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

          > Dorothy is also speaking at the annual meeting of the Ontario Historical Society in the same rotation as some other guy speaking about the War of 1812. Details can be found at:
          >
          > http://www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca/en/2012__A_Year_In_History_167/Event_Information_646
        • MichaelK
          Message 4 of 15 , May 29, 2012
            There is a computer game. Called The War of 1812, The Conquest of Canada "by HPS. It is fairly realistic though some battles like Longwoods have the order of battle expanded to make a more interesting battle at that scale. It does add to my understanding of these battles.

            Mike Kinney
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , May 30, 2012
              I have a game here called "Imperial Glory". It deals with the war in Europe, but the graphics are really good and fighting a battle using infantry, cavalry, and artillery can be very challenging. An excellent game.

              Cheers!
              Mike Jansen

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelK" <mkinney1835@...> wrote:

              > There is a computer game. Called The War of 1812, The Conquest of Canada "by HPS. It is fairly realistic though some battles like Longwoods have the order of battle expanded to make a more interesting battle at that scale. It does add to my understanding of these battles.
              >
              > Mike Kinney

            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 15 6:57 AM
                List:A new book has been recently published on English society at the time of the War of 1812.
                R. & L. Adkins, Jane Austen's England. Viking/Penguin, 2013. ISBN 978-0-670-78584-1.
                For a 422-page book, it is not very expensive [29.50 CDN]. It covers a wide range of features of England society at the time, and is quite well illustrated [in b-w]. It contains twelve chapters covering wedding traditions; "breeding"; young people; notions of "home"; Fashion and dirt; religion; wealth; leisure; travel; crime; medicine. It is very well written by two award-winning historians, and I recommend it.
                End of summer reading, perhaps. I shall be taking my copy to the cottage tomorrow.
                Have a good rest of summer. See many of you at the Battle of the Thames.
                Yrs etc.Ray Hobbs

              • annwass2000
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 15 8:15 AM
                  Sounds like a treat. Hope the fashion section is accurate--amazing how often writers don't get that right.

                  Ann Wass

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15 11:00 AM
                    Ann: There are some contemporary engravings from the first decade of the century, and a little before. It is surprising to me how varied the men's clothing is, and fascinating to see a bricklayer on a wooden scaffold laying bricks wearing an overcoat, hat and trousers. There is also an old man in a bookstore wearing clothes which come from forty years before the engraving. The clerk is wearing time-appropriate dress. Lots of goodies in the book.Ray

                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    From: annbwass@...
                    Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400
                    Subject: Re: 1812 New Book

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 15 12:25 PM
                      Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

                      With Regards

                      Mark

                      ________________________________

                      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                      From: annbwass@...
                      Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

                    • john.matthew@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15 6:05 PM
                        It is available at Amazon.co.uk:
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eavesdropping-Jane-Austen%C2%92s-England-ancestors/dp/1408703963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376615053&sr=8-1&keywords=Jane+Austen%27s+England

                        John Matthew IV

                        ________________________________
                        Do you know if this book is available in theUK?

                        With Regards

                        Mark

                      • JOHN GREIG
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 16 1:09 AM
                           The book is available at amazon.uk   I bought one yesterday.
                          .
                          John Greig

                          Northamptonshire.  UK

                          To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                          From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com
                          Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:15:16 -0400

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 16 7:03 AM
                            Many thanks I have already spotted one there! Might try Waterstones first.

                            With Regards

                            Mark

                            To: mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com
                            From: mailto:annbwass%40aol.com