Re: leeks

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
      >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
      >
      >From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>
      >However the leeks are to be eaten raw.
      >
      >We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,
      >we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !

      Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
      according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
      with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
      cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
      not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
      that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it!
      Scott McDonald
    • The Bosse Family
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
        Come on,
        You think I couls spell after a 24?
        I am a fireman for gods sake! ;<)

        Dave Bosse

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
          In a message dated 3/3/2000 12:19:58 AM Central Standard Time,
          raintree@... writes:

          << Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
          according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
          with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
          cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
          not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
          that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it! >>

          Enter Captain Gower and Ancient (Ensign) Pistol.

          "I am qualish from smell of leek!" :-O

        • Raymond Hobbs
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
            Toothless, sir!
            Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
            'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
            Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
            of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
            In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
            in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
            run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

            But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

            Ray Hobbs
            Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
            local fuss in 1812-1814.

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
              From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

              > LL: Leek Soup for Dinner!
              >
              > PC: The leeks ought to be eaten raw!
              -----------------------

              Sir Catley, true story .........

              A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
              Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
              that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
              fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
              moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
              He is now a member of the Mess!

              His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know!

              The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group
              with HQ in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and a Division in
              Hamilton, Ontario, Canada "Leek" new members of their
              mess as they eventually were known as the Welch Regiment.
              (correct spelling) and also The King's Regiment in the
              Canadas portraying the 8th (King's) Regt also "leek" their
              new mess members.
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002

                Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks

                From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                  From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                  > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.

                  LL: Right then, there was no salt in the leek-puree

                  > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??

                  LL: Good, but no cigar!

                  It was not in the 41st Mess did this occurrence happen!

                  PS: Peter, who was the country Gentleman who accompanied you to
                  Miss 1812? Does he have email? n' yur Paper is on it's way!

                  L*
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                    In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

                    << Sir Catley, true story .........
                    A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
                    Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
                    that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
                    fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
                    moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
                    He is now a member of the Mess!
                    His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

                    I was there.
                    I know!

                    B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  • Peter Catley
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                      For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                      Peter Catley

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

                        > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                        > 93rd SHRoFLHU

                        IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                        TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                        In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
                        War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                        Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                        honours?

                        Fred Fishell
                      • ANDREW S BATEMAN
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                            My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                              In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                              writes:

                              > I was there.
                              > I know!
                              >
                              > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                              Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                              Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                              whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                            • James Aldrich
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                  In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                                  Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                                  leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                                  being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                                  provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                                  There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                                  think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                                  occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                                  their guests' dietary preferences.

                                  Doug

                                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                    In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                                    << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                                    It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                                    ;-)
                                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                                    THE Thin Red Line
                                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                      In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                      <<
                                      IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                      TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                                      8th
                                      ;-)

                                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                                      THE Thin Red Line
                                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                    • giiir
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                        --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                        > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                                        >
                                        > <<
                                        > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                        > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                                        > >>

                                        > 8th
                                        > ;-)

                                        > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        > THE Thin Red Line
                                        > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                        My dear Benton:
                                        Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                        leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                        or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                        allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                                        as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                                        sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                                        the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                                        because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                                        swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                                        whisky was not a single malt.
                                        Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                                        I remain Yrs, etc.,
                                        Fred Fishell
                                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                          In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                          << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                          leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                          or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                          allude to, >>

                                          Evidently!
                                          I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                                          than one occasion to get a free meal!
                                          ;-)
                                          My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                                          THE Thin Red Line
                                          www.93rdhighlanders.com