York Volunteer Militia

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2012
      I am trying to find a description of the uniform the York Volunteer Militia would have worn at the Battle of Queenston Heights in October 1812? Would they have had red coats? What colour wold the facings have been?

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2012
        This one is easy. They wore their civilian clothing and were issued with musket, bayonet and belt and cartidge box with belt.
        The 1st, 2nd and 3rd regiments of York Militia were at Queenston Heights.

        Ron Dale

        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2012
          Thanks very much. I thought they may have got some discarded uniforms from some the 49th or 41st regiment?

          Is the same true for the Lincoln Militia?

          Brian
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

          > This one is easy. They wore their civilian clothing [snip]
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2012
            As far as I know, the 5th Lincolns may have gotten some of the 41st's old uniforms when they went to Detroit. I haven't seen any primary documents to confirm that, but Brock did dress the militia at Detroit in cast-off uniforms from the 41st.
            I have seen primary sources that uniforms were being made in NOTL for the 1st Lincolns. Calvin Arnt has copies of those documents posted on the 1st Lincoln's website. Other than that, to the best of my knowledge, the Lincoln Militia went into battle in civilian clothing. At the battle of Fort George in 1813, one of the British Officers wrote that the militia opposing the landing were being given white armbands to distinguish them from the American Militia. I've also seen references that they did the same at Chippewa in 1814.

            Cheers!
            Mike Jansen
            2nd Lincoln Militia

            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2012
              There were a limited number of old 41st coattees in store at Amherstburg that were issued for the Detroit campaign to militiamen accompanying Brock. It would have be unusual to have allowed the militiamen to keep the coats when the campaign was over although it is possible that some of the lads got away with one. However, I don't think that it would be correct to depict any Lincoln militiaman in a uniform at Queenston Heights.

              Ron

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                I've never seen any accounts that describe the militia at Queenston in any kind of uniform. The safest bet I think would be to just assume that they didn't have any. Our unit will be appearing at that event in civilian attire only.

                Cheers!
                Mike Jansen
                2nd Lincoln Militia

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                > There were a limited number of old 41st coattees in store at Amherstburg that were issued for the Detroit campaign to militiamen accompanying Brock. It would have be unusual to have allowed the militiamen to keep the coats when the campaign was over although it is possible that some of the lads got away with one. However, I don't think that it would be correct to depict any Lincoln militiaman in a uniform at Queenston Heights.
                >
                > Ron

              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                  I'm curious. Can you give me a general description of what the Lincoln's
                  would be wearing?

                  "Major" Tom

                  _____

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> , Ron
                  <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                  > There were a limited number of old 41st coattees in store at Amherstburg
                  that were issued for the Detroit campaign to militiamen accompanying Brock.
                  It would have be unusual to have allowed the militiamen to keep the coats
                  when the campaign was over although it is possible that some of the lads got
                  away with one. However, I don't think that it would be correct to depict any
                  Lincoln militiaman in a uniform at Queenston Heights.

                  > Ron

                • ekwardle
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                    Taken from René Chartrand's A Scarlet Coat:

                    On 29 July, 1812, a garrison order at York mentioned that the flank companies of the 3rd York leaving for the Niagara would be "fitted with caps, blankets and haversacks" on leaving and this would be followed by an issue of "regimental coats and canteens" on arrival. General Brock further mentioned his pleasure at their orderly conduct, discipline, their "appearance in uniform and their perfect knowledge of their duty".

                    Ewan

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mjansen5@...> wrote:

                    > I've never seen any accounts that describe the militia at Queenston in any kind of uniform. The safest bet I think would be to just assume that they didn't have any. Our unit will be appearing at that event in civilian attire only.
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    > Mike Jansen
                    > 2nd Lincoln Militia
                    >
                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > There were a limited number of old 41st coattees in store at Amherstburg that were issued for the Detroit campaign to militiamen accompanying Brock. It would have be unusual to have allowed the militiamen to keep the coats when the campaign was over although it is possible that some of the lads got away with one. However, I don't think that it would be correct to depict any Lincoln militiaman in a uniform at Queenston Heights.
                    > >
                    > > Ron

                  • lenthecooper
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                      Thanks Ewen you beat me to the quote.
                      The old 41st jackets were purchased from the soldiers of that regiment after Major Buck's (I believe) recommendation for the militia flank companies, so I can't see them being sold back to the 41st after Detroit. The white band reference is from 27 May '13 and the American attack on Ft George.
                      Unless you were portraying a flank company, I doubt that there would be many, if any redcoats in the ranks. Best bet, wear proper civilian clothing with belts bayonet and box.
                      Cheers,
                      Len Heidebrecht
                      York Volunteers

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:

                      > Taken from René Chartrand's A Scarlet Coat:
                      >
                      > On 29 July, 1812, a garrison order at York mentioned that the flank companies of the 3rd York leaving for the Niagara would be "fitted with caps, blankets and haversacks" on leaving and this would be followed by an issue of "regimental coats and canteens" on arrival. General Brock further mentioned his pleasure at their orderly conduct, discipline, their "appearance in uniform and their perfect knowledge of their duty".
                      >
                      > Ewan
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                        In April of 1812, Brock directed that the militia should provide themselves
                        with "a short coat of some dark coloured cloth made to button well round the body, and pantaloons suited to the season, with the addition of a round hat"

                        Cheers!
                        Mike Jansen

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                        > I'm curious. Can you give me a general description of what the Lincoln's
                        > would be wearing?
                        >

                        > "Major" Tom
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Brian
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 9, 2012
                          Thanks to all those who answered my question. Looks like it will be civilian clothes other than the flank company. What sort of colours would they York volunteers carry?

                          Cheers,
                          Brian
                        • ekwardle
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 10, 2012
                            The 3rd Batt., York (id est the Town of York proper) Militia were issued a set of colours on March 23, 1813 by the "Patriotic young Ladies of York". The regimental colour had a blue field and the Union canton. In the centre a crowned arms of Upper Canada with laurel and York roses at the corners.

                            So, if you are portraying the flank coys. of the 3rd York, who fought at the battle, they were yet to have colours.

                            Ewan

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <hearndenb@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks to all those who answered my question. Looks like it will be civilian clothes other than the flank company. What sort of colours would they York volunteers carry?
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Brian

                          • Tom Hurlbut
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 10, 2012
                              Well, that's pretty definitive and would offer a "uniform" look. Thanks.

                              "Major" Tom

                              _____