can anyone help this person?

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2000
      I recieved the following e:mail, can anyone on the
      list help?

      We are attempting to find out what type of sailing
      vessel the HMS Dauntless was. A raiding party from
      that ship attacked Taylor's Island, Maryland on the
      Chesapeake Bay and was captured because it got
      stuck in the ice. The cannon from the raiding vessel
      and the crew were captured. The cannon is
      displayed on Taylor's Island. We are attempting to
      find what type of vessel the "Dauntless" was since a
      local group is adding this image to a series of
      historical Christmas balls for the year 2000. They
      approached us for reference material. We have books
      on British ships but could find nothing concrete
      about this particuler vessel. If we can determine its
      class we could probably provide them with an
      accurate picture for their reference. If you can
      assist us we would be deeply appreciative.

      Earl E. Brannock, Director

      Brannock Maritime Museum

      210 Talbot Avenue

      Cambridge, MD 21613

      Phone- 410-228-6938
      E-Mail- brannock@...

      Thanks for your time

      Rob Taylor

      =====
      War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Scott Jeznach
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2000
        > We are attempting to find out what type of sailing
        >vessel the HMS Dauntless was.

        Sounds like a job for the Royal Marines. What do you think, Ed?

        Scott J.
        Royal Marines
      • easeufe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2000
          In a message dated 3/2/00 4:48:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, scottj@...
          writes:

          << > We are attempting to find out what type of sailing
          >vessel the HMS Dauntless was.

          The following is listed for HMS Dauntless:

          "DAUNTLESS,18. (18O8 Deptford. Sold 1825) 18O9 Lieut. WHITMAN. He died on the
          African station. 181O Daniel BARBER, 2/5/1O, African station. 1811 ditto,
          Sheerness for Cork. 1812 ditto, Cork. 1814 ditto, Spithead for Newfoundland.
          1815 ditto, Halifax. 1816-17 Portsmouth. 1818- (24-gun) Capt. Hon. Valentine
          GARDNER, 11/18, fitting out for the East Indies."

          Since it's listed as an 18 during the war and a 24 in 1818, I would venture
          that it was a ship rigged sloop. The two narratives that I have of the event
          in question refer to the HMS Dauntless as a frigate and a brig respectively.

          I have responded offline to Mr Brannock.

          Ed Seufert
          LCpl/Royal Marines
        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2000
            So did the event in sact happen?
            Len
            --

            On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 00:18:49 easeufe wrote:
            >From: easeufe@...
            >
            >In a message dated 3/2/00 4:48:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, scottj@...
            >writes:
            >
            ><< > We are attempting to find out what type of sailing
            > >vessel the HMS Dauntless was.
            > >>

            >The following is listed for HMS Dauntless:
            >
            >"DAUNTLESS,18. (18O8 Deptford. Sold 1825) 18O9 Lieut. WHITMAN. He died on the
            >African station. 181O Daniel BARBER, 2/5/1O, African station. 1811 ditto,
            >Sheerness for Cork. 1812 ditto, Cork. 1814 ditto, Spithead for Newfoundland.
            >1815 ditto, Halifax. 1816-17 Portsmouth. 1818- (24-gun) Capt. Hon. Valentine
            >GARDNER, 11/18, fitting out for the East Indies."
            >
            >Since it's listed as an 18 during the war and a 24 in 1818, I would venture
            >that it was a ship rigged sloop. The two narratives that I have of the event
            >in question refer to the HMS Dauntless as a frigate and a brig respectively.
            >
            >I have responded offline to Mr Brannock.
            >
            >Ed Seufert
            >LCpl/Royal Marines

            >PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
            >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
            >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
            >Apply NOW!
            >
            >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

            HotBot - Search smarter.
            http://www.hotbot.com