Re: leeks

  • ninety3rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
      In a message dated 02/3/2000 5:48:29 AM, monga589@... writes:

      << I thought the US 25th was hard.........we just drink alot of hard whiskey

      Ah! No wonder then...
      That substitute "whiskEy" stuff.
      You'd be fine if it were the real thing.....Whisky, that is.
      ;-)
      Slainte!
      93rd SHRoFLHU

      (Tim...what did I tell you...)
      ;-)
    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
        >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
        >
        >From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>
        >However the leeks are to be eaten raw.
        >
        >We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,
        >we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !

        Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
        according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
        with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
        cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
        not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
        that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it!
        Scott McDonald
      • The Bosse Family
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
          Come on,
          You think I couls spell after a 24?
          I am a fireman for gods sake! ;<)

          Dave Bosse

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
            In a message dated 3/3/2000 12:19:58 AM Central Standard Time,
            raintree@... writes:

            << Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
            according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
            with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
            cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
            not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
            that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it! >>

            Enter Captain Gower and Ancient (Ensign) Pistol.

            "I am qualish from smell of leek!" :-O

          • Raymond Hobbs
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
              Toothless, sir!
              Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
              'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
              Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
              of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
              In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
              in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
              run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

              But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

              Ray Hobbs
              Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
              local fuss in 1812-1814.

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                > LL: Leek Soup for Dinner!
                >
                > PC: The leeks ought to be eaten raw!
                -----------------------

                Sir Catley, true story .........

                A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
                Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
                that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
                fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
                moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
                He is now a member of the Mess!

                His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know!

                The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group
                with HQ in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and a Division in
                Hamilton, Ontario, Canada "Leek" new members of their
                mess as they eventually were known as the Welch Regiment.
                (correct spelling) and also The King's Regiment in the
                Canadas portraying the 8th (King's) Regt also "leek" their
                new mess members.
              • Peter Catley
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002

                  Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks

                  From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                    From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                    > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.

                    LL: Right then, there was no salt in the leek-puree

                    > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??

                    LL: Good, but no cigar!

                    It was not in the 41st Mess did this occurrence happen!

                    PS: Peter, who was the country Gentleman who accompanied you to
                    Miss 1812? Does he have email? n' yur Paper is on it's way!

                    L*
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                      In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

                      << Sir Catley, true story .........
                      A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
                      Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
                      that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
                      fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
                      moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
                      He is now a member of the Mess!
                      His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

                      I was there.
                      I know!

                      B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                        For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                        Peter Catley

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

                          > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                          > 93rd SHRoFLHU

                          IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                          TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                          In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
                          War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                          Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                          honours?

                          Fred Fishell
                        • ANDREW S BATEMAN
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                            From: "giiir" <giiir@...>

                            > ... , you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                            > Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                            > honours?
                            >
                            > Fred Fishell

                            Dear Sir,

                            No, they did not win their "Niagara" battle honour at Moraviantown. (In
                            fact, geographically, Moraviantown is not even close to Niagara. It is
                            located west of present day London, Ontario.) They won it for the the 1814
                            Niagara campaign in which the remnants of the 1/41st and 400 reinforcements
                            from the 2/41st served as a single unit. The flank companies (Shadrach
                            Byfield included) participated in the capture of Ft. Niagara in December of
                            1813 and the battle of Lundy's Lane. As a battalion they participated in
                            various raids on the US side of the river (Lewistown, Black Rock, etc.) and
                            the seige of Ft. Erie. The Light company under Captain Glew suffered
                            heavily in Drummond's night attack on August 15, 1814 when the bastion blew
                            up.

                            I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. We in the 41st are
                            always happy to help.

                            Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                          • johnwhiteshirt
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                              My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                                writes:

                                > I was there.
                                > I know!
                                >
                                > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                                Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                                Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                                whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                              • James Aldrich
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                    In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                                    Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                                    leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                                    being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                                    provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                                    There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                                    think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                                    occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                                    their guests' dietary preferences.

                                    Doug

                                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                      In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                                      << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                                      It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                                      ;-)
                                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                                      THE Thin Red Line
                                      www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                        In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                        <<
                                        IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                        TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                                        8th
                                        ;-)

                                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        THE Thin Red Line
                                        www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                      • giiir
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                          --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                          > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                                          >
                                          > <<
                                          > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                          > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                                          > >>

                                          > 8th
                                          > ;-)

                                          > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                          > THE Thin Red Line
                                          > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                          My dear Benton:
                                          Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                          leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                          or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                          allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                                          as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                                          sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                                          the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                                          because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                                          swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                                          whisky was not a single malt.
                                          Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                                          I remain Yrs, etc.,
                                          Fred Fishell
                                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                            In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                            << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                            leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                            or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                            allude to, >>

                                            Evidently!
                                            I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                                            than one occasion to get a free meal!
                                            ;-)
                                            My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                                            THE Thin Red Line
                                            www.93rdhighlanders.com