Tecumseh

  • Paul and Charlene
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2012
      Good Evening Folks - I am not a regular visitor to your group, but the request from Ann Wass was forwarded to me by Charlene Roberts. My name is Lisa Gilbert, and I am chair of Friends of the Tecumseh Monument. Some of you probably know that our group has been trying to get the site near where Tecumseh was killed at the Battle of the Thames (Moraviantown), known as the Tecumseh Monument site, redeveloped, in time for the bicentennial of his death on October 5, 2013. If you are interested in more information, visit our website at TecumsehMonument.ca. In answer to your question Ann, I want to corroborate what Jim Yaworsky said (also forwarded to me by Charlene), and just re-iterate that there is no fully authenticated contemporary illustration of Tecumseh, but, according to the research that I have done, the best one to use is the Benjamin Lossing engraving. He reportedly based his picture on a pencil sketch made about 1808 by a fur trader named Pierre Le Dru. Unfortunately, Lossing substituted a British officer's coat for Tecumseh's more probable deerskin shirt. The turban is probably accurate though, as it is known that Tecumseh favoured turbans. I also just want to add that the woman who was hired to draw the picture for the stamp was in contact with me earlier this year, and from my conversations with her, I think the picture will be as accurate as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for your time.

      Sincerely,

      Lisa Gilbert,
      Friends of the Tecumseh Monument