Re: leeks

  • ninety3rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2000
      In a message dated 01/3/2000 9:17:36 PM, lalozon@... writes:

      << From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>

      However the leeks are to be eaten raw.

      We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,

      we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !

      Not in the 8th you don't!
      I recall attending the 8th's Mess many moons ago at Ft Erie, and the good
      Major Sandler had incorporated the eating of a raw leek into the Mess newbie
      hazing ceremony. (And I recall you, oh good King of the North could not eat
      yours, what with funky choppers!).
      ;-)
    • IX Regiment
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
        In message <001a01bf83fa$45d96140$7e3c1cd0@default>, Larry Lozon
        <lalozon@...> writes
        >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
        >
        >From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>
        >However the leeks are to be eaten raw.
        >
        >We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,
        >we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !

        Sorry, a Welsh Gentleman? Look at Picton! Anyway most Welshmen in the
        Army were, like the rest of us, not gentlemen.

        P**

        --
        IX Regiment
      • IX Regiment
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
          ><< From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>
          >
          >However the leeks are to be eaten raw.
          >

          >We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,
          >
          >we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !
          >

          >Not in the 8th you don't!
          >I recall attending the 8th's Mess many moons ago at Ft Erie, and the good
          >Major Sandler had incorporated the eating of a raw leek into the Mess newbie
          >hazing ceremony. (And I recall you, oh good King of the North could not eat
          >yours, what with funky choppers!).
          >;-)
          Thanks for the information Benton, Q E D?

          P**

          --
          IX Regiment
        • The Bosse Family
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
            Wow,
            I thought the US 25th was hard.........we just drink alot of hard whiskey
            Dave Bosse

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
              In a message dated 02/3/2000 5:48:29 AM, monga589@... writes:

              << I thought the US 25th was hard.........we just drink alot of hard whiskey

              Ah! No wonder then...
              That substitute "whiskEy" stuff.
              You'd be fine if it were the real thing.....Whisky, that is.
              ;-)
              Slainte!
              93rd SHRoFLHU

              (Tim...what did I tell you...)
              ;-)
            • Scott McDonald
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2000
                >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                >
                >From: IX Regiment <ixreg@...>
                >However the leeks are to be eaten raw.
                >
                >We may be in the wilderness, but My God Sir,
                >we are still Gentlemen, and cook our food !

                Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
                according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
                with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
                cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
                not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
                that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it!
                Scott McDonald
              • The Bosse Family
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
                  Come on,
                  You think I couls spell after a 24?
                  I am a fireman for gods sake! ;<)

                  Dave Bosse

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 3, 2000
                    In a message dated 3/3/2000 12:19:58 AM Central Standard Time,
                    raintree@... writes:

                    << Not only are the Leeks to be eaten raw on St. Davids Day, March 1st, but
                    according to the mess tradation of the Welch Fusiliers it has to be done
                    with one foot on the table and one on a chair while behind a drummmer
                    cermoniously plays a drum roll and the regimental goat stands witness. AND
                    not only do they eat leeks they wear them in their bearskins too...now
                    that's style! Sorta makes one proud don't it! >>

                    Enter Captain Gower and Ancient (Ensign) Pistol.

                    "I am qualish from smell of leek!" :-O

                  • Raymond Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Toothless, sir!
                      Now, it must be admitted that the 41st in 1767 had officers who were
                      'mostly old, wounded and infirm and had lost limbs.' At that time the
                      Regimental Major was 82 years old, there was a 'stone blind' Lieutenant
                      of 80, and another blind Ensign - a mere youngster of 71.
                      In 1781 the 41st were sent to put down a riot by the Athol Highlanders
                      in Portsmouth. The 41st lost, the CO was captured because he could not
                      run fast enough. He had a wooden leg.

                      But TOOTHLESS, Never!!!!!

                      Ray Hobbs
                      Corporal in the 41st - the Regt, that won four battle honours in the
                      local fuss in 1812-1814.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                        From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                        > LL: Leek Soup for Dinner!
                        >
                        > PC: The leeks ought to be eaten raw!
                        -----------------------

                        Sir Catley, true story .........

                        A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
                        Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
                        that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
                        fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
                        moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
                        He is now a member of the Mess!

                        His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know!

                        The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group
                        with HQ in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and a Division in
                        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada "Leek" new members of their
                        mess as they eventually were known as the Welch Regiment.
                        (correct spelling) and also The King's Regiment in the
                        Canadas portraying the 8th (King's) Regt also "leek" their
                        new mess members.
                      • Peter Catley
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002

                          Subject: [WarOf1812] leeks

                          From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                            From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                            > Like it, trust though the puree was without salt.

                            LL: Right then, there was no salt in the leek-puree

                            > I feel a new nickname? The toothless 41st??

                            LL: Good, but no cigar!

                            It was not in the 41st Mess did this occurrence happen!

                            PS: Peter, who was the country Gentleman who accompanied you to
                            Miss 1812? Does he have email? n' yur Paper is on it's way!

                            L*
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                              In a message dated 3/1/02 12:36:03 PM, lalozon@... writes:

                              << Sir Catley, true story .........
                              A new officer was to be "Leeked" into the Officer's
                              Mess of a re-created Regiment. It was a known fact
                              that he wore false teeth and would possibly use the
                              fact as an excuse not to eat a leek. At the precise
                              moment he was presented with a bowl of leek puree!
                              He is now a member of the Mess!
                              His identity will not be divulged, those who know, know! >>

                              I was there.
                              I know!

                              B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • Peter Catley
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                                Peter Catley

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002

                                  > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)
                                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU

                                  IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                  TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                                  In all the glorious exploits by the 41st in North America, during the
                                  War of 1812, you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                                  Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                                  honours?

                                  Fred Fishell
                                • ANDREW S BATEMAN
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                    From: "giiir" <giiir@...>

                                    > ... , you fail to mention the battle of the Thames or
                                    > Moraviatown, was that where the Regiment won its Niagara battle
                                    > honours?
                                    >
                                    > Fred Fishell

                                    Dear Sir,

                                    No, they did not win their "Niagara" battle honour at Moraviantown. (In
                                    fact, geographically, Moraviantown is not even close to Niagara. It is
                                    located west of present day London, Ontario.) They won it for the the 1814
                                    Niagara campaign in which the remnants of the 1/41st and 400 reinforcements
                                    from the 2/41st served as a single unit. The flank companies (Shadrach
                                    Byfield included) participated in the capture of Ft. Niagara in December of
                                    1813 and the battle of Lundy's Lane. As a battalion they participated in
                                    various raids on the US side of the river (Lewistown, Black Rock, etc.) and
                                    the seige of Ft. Erie. The Light company under Captain Glew suffered
                                    heavily in Drummond's night attack on August 15, 1814 when the bastion blew
                                    up.

                                    I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. We in the 41st are
                                    always happy to help.

                                    Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                                  • johnwhiteshirt
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                      My Grandad was a Welshman who had a leek in his garden every morning.
                                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                        In a message dated 3/2/2002 12:39:11 AM Central Standard Time, HQ93rd@...
                                        writes:

                                        > I was there.
                                        > I know!
                                        >
                                        > B (who ate a raw leek at that same time!)

                                        Not only did I eat a leek on that occasion, I have a picture of me doing it.
                                        Indeed I recall the gent in question taking a couple of trial bites on a
                                        whole raw leek before the 'puree' emerged!

                                      • James Aldrich
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                            In my personna as a RN lieut I was honoured to become a member of the
                                            Kings 8th Mess a few years ago. I managed to devour my mighty
                                            leeks. They were to be washed down with rum, a concession to me,
                                            being a naval person. But I expressed a desire for scotch and it was
                                            provided in thankfully copious quantities.

                                            There was another person there who consumed a leek puree. I don't
                                            think it had to do with false teeth. Perhaps that was another
                                            occasion. But I do compliment the 8th for their consideration of
                                            their guests' dietary preferences.

                                            Doug

                                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                              In a message dated 3/2/02 12:22:48 AM, peter.catley@... writes:

                                              << For a Scots officer should the leek not have been peppered :)

                                              It should have been sauteed in Scotch!
                                              ;-)
                                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                                              THE Thin Red Line
                                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 2, 2002
                                                In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                                <<
                                                IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                                TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!

                                                8th
                                                ;-)

                                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                                THE Thin Red Line
                                                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                              • giiir
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:

                                                  > In a message dated 3/2/02 4:55:56 AM, giiir@y... writes:
                                                  >
                                                  > <<
                                                  > IT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE 8TH MESS AND NOT THE 41ST, BUT IT WAS A
                                                  > TOOTHLESS MEMBER OF THE 41ST; I WAS THERE TOO!
                                                  > >>

                                                  > 8th
                                                  > ;-)

                                                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                                  > THE Thin Red Line
                                                  > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                                  My dear Benton:
                                                  Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                                  leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                                  or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                                  allude to, when Susan Ramsay of the Stoney Creek site and I as well
                                                  as the Count of Waterloo were being inducted into the King's mess. I
                                                  sat next to Sue and, being a gentleman, assisted her in polishing off
                                                  the scotch chaser. I am glad that it wasn't a Welsh (WELCH) regiment,
                                                  because Welches grape juice is something I cannot bring myself to
                                                  swallow. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Scots Regiment either, so the
                                                  whisky was not a single malt.
                                                  Hoping this clears up any misunderstanding,
                                                  I remain Yrs, etc.,
                                                  Fred Fishell
                                                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 3, 2002
                                                    In a message dated 3/3/02 8:47:53 AM, giiir@... writes:

                                                    << Evidently there was more than one occasion where someone(?)had the
                                                    leek served to him pureed because of his alleged inability to swallow
                                                    or chew it whole. Neither Tim nor you were present on the occasion I
                                                    allude to, >>

                                                    Evidently!
                                                    I would dare say the King of the North has used the leek puree gambit on more
                                                    than one occasion to get a free meal!
                                                    ;-)
                                                    My witness of the incident was at Fort Erie some years ago.

                                                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                                                    THE Thin Red Line
                                                    www.93rdhighlanders.com