Re: Lundy's Lane Battlefield Update

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2012
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "bill.colclough" <wcolclou@...> wrote:

      > First, I want to thank everyone for their support regarding the City of Niagara Falls proposal to develop on the Lundy's Lane Battlefield property.
      >
      > The council decided tonight to defer the matter to allow the residents time to raise the money needed.

      Good news! The obvious followup questions:
      1) how much money has to be raised?
      2) If I feel like donating to the cause, where do I send some?

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st
    • planetgemini1812
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2012
        This is great, great news. Congratulations Niagara Falls residents, and all who have been supporting this cause so passionately. Let's keep up the effort folks!
        Kim Rogers
        in Whitehorse, Yukon
      • Sue Tracy & Tracy Macdonnell
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2012
          I seem to recall lo these many years that there was a similar situation when
          the little old lady who owned a piece of property was being pressured into
          selling it to the city. It had graves on it.

          The re-enacting community (we were pitifully small at that time) rallied to
          do a parade, fire some volleys and generate interest. I don't remember if
          there were funds raised.

          I suspect that, especially with the size of the community now, along with
          the bicentennial (could NF council have chosen a *worse* time to try this?),
          we could likely rally, get at least one, possibly 2 events held there, and
          do some fundraising for them.

          Does anyone agree? Think this would work? Be interested?

          Sue

        • bill.colclough
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2012
            You are probably referring to Ruth Redmond's property. She bought houses on the north side of the battlefield and eventually donated the land to the city. The property is where "Fralick's Tavern" is, known today as the Battlefield Hotel...a heritage site, not an actual hotel. $250,000 was raised to restore that building. These were the same residents working today to save the battlefield.

            Not sure if there are any graves there but anything is possible in this neighbourhood.

            There have been conversations about having a re-enactment on the site, or even simply an encampment at first just to raise awareness. Hopefully that can be worked out.

            The City will be the owners of the land as of June 22nd. We have 6 months from now to demonstrate that we can raise the funds. I have had ongoing conversations with the Federal Government for several weeks and we are now moving forward since the city has committed. I will be meeting with the Provincial Government shortly. Private business' in the area are lending financial support. We are well on our way to making this happen for everyone to enjoy.

            Bill

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Tracy & Tracy Macdonnell" <casa4macs@...> wrote:

            > I seem to recall lo these many years that there was a similar situation when the little old lady who owned a piece of property was being pressured into selling it to the city. [snip]
          • Matt Lanteigne
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2012
              Thanks for doing this Bill.

              Matt

            • Loren Bellinger
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2012
                I've been told by a friend in the know. that if it doesn't turn out how
                you like, take it to the Ontario Municipal Board. And try to get it
                changed to a heritage site.
              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2012
                  Loren, the battlefield has already been declared a National Historic Site.
                  The problem is they never established a boundary for what is the ~site~.

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 29, 2012
                    Sorry for the delay. Working on this stuff takes a lot of time!

                    The City has asked that we pay $450,000 for the building. There are other costs such as insurance and legal fees. Still working out the exact total.

                    We are still getting quotes for the demolition but we have been told that could be in the area of $300,000. There may be some opportunity to work with other organizations that will make use of the building materials which will reduce the cost of demolition. Still working on that.

                    We will be having a meeting very soon regarding donations. We will be posting that information as soon as we have all of the details worked out.

                    Don Graves came over yesterday and toured the battlefield with us. He said it was the first time that he had ever toured it from the US perspective. He is really excited about the project!

                    Thanks to everyone for their interest and support!

                    Bill