Re: Re: U.S. Navy

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 1, 2000
      >From: easeufe@...
      [snip]
      >Will the Marines do instead?
      >
      >The rating system:
      >
      >1st Rate: 100 guns or more
      >2nd Rate: 90-98 guns
      >3rd Rate: 64-80 guns (majority of the RN SOLs were in this class)
      >4th Rate: 50-60 guns
      >5th Rate: 32-44 guns (frigates)
      >6th Rate: 20-30 guns
      >
      >Sloops were the largest of the unrated vessels, followed by brigs, cutters,
      >transports, bombs and gunboats.

      Ed-
      I have a source which says that the Marine contingent on a 1st rate ship
      (Admiral's flagship) consisted of 131 privates, 4 corporals, 4 sergants, 3
      Lieutenants, a Captian, and 2 Drummers. Does this sound right?
      Scott
    • easeufe@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 1, 2000
        In a message dated 3/1/00 10:10:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        raintree@... writes:

        << have a source which says that the Marine contingent on a 1st rate ship
        (Admiral's flagship) consisted of 131 privates, 4 corporals, 4 sergants, 3
        Lieutenants, a Captian, and 2 Drummers. Does this sound right?

        Most Admirals flew their flags in 1st or sometimes on lesser stations, 2nd
        rates. As marines were assigned to ships based on the number of guns, the
        above figure does indeed sound right though the largest SOL was the 120 gun
        HMS Caledonia. Most certainly a 1st rate had a Captain of Marines and 3
        subalterns. An Admiral may well wish to have more than a normal contingent
        of Marines around also. Before the mutinies of the Nore and Spithead,
        marines made up approximately 1/6 (or 17%) of the entire ship's crew;
        afterwards the Admiralty raised it to 1/5 (20%). Using that as a base, a
        ship with a total crew of 750 would have 150 marines (officers, ncos and
        rankers).

        Ed