Lundy's Lane Battlefield

  • bill.colclough
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 19, 2012
      The school building and other property at Lundy's Lane Battlefield are currently being proposed to be sold to private interests. Residents have been fighting this at public meetings. It is against the city's planning documents. They have decided to form up to see if the federal government can help.

      The meeting to determine the rezoning will take place on April 24th at Niagara Falls City Hall. Everyone who can attend are encouraged to do so. The more people who stand up now, the better.

      If you are opposed to this development and would like to return the school to green space please send a letter ASAP to the following address:

      Director of Planning & Development
      City Hall
      4310 Queen St.
      Niagara Falls, Ontario
      L2E 6X5

      Send it care of the City Clerk, Dean Iorfida: diorfida@...

      If you want to copy the Council so they receive it directly, the address is: council@...
    • planetgemini1812
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
        I will gladly write to the City Clerk and Council to oppose this. It would be a travesty to see it sold and developed, when so much in that area has already been ruined beyond recognition.
        Long live the Lundy's Lane battlefield!
        Let's all fight this.... for those who fought there.
        Kim
      • planetgemini1812
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
          Here's a copy of what I have sent to the Council. If anyone needs to, please feel free to use it as reference material if you are writing to them as well.

          Dear City Clerk and Council of the City of Niagara Falls,

          I am writing to express my heartfelt opposition to the City's private sale and any subsequent development of properties adjacent to the Lundy's Lane battlefield site.

          I feel that these properties (some of which likely hold remains of soldiers who fought there, as well as artifacts) are first of all sacred, and therefore worthy of respect.

          Secondly I think these lands are immensely significant to the preservation of our Canadian history and in particular the history of our participation and victories in the War of 1812.

          Lundy's Lane historical site could be much more than it is right now in terms of taking people back in time. There's already so much development in that area that has virtually obliterated any and all remnants of the important events that occurred there 200 years ago.

          The landscape surrounding what remains of the Lundy's Lane site is lost forever. So much so, that it's impossible to even imagine the fierce battle that occurred there. There are few interpretive aids at the site to assist people with this, and there is a lot of potential to make this battlefield far more real and meaningful for people than it is right now.

          The patch of land in question still has a chance. It has a chance to remain a historical oasis in the midst of mass development, that elders and children alike can visit for years to come to learn about what happened there and how it has benefited us all today. There are so few opportunities left in Ontario and in particular the Niagara area, to experience the awe and reverence of our War of 1812 battle sites.

          Once the land adjacent to the Lundy's Lane battlefield is gone, it's gone forever. Please reconsider the irreversible effects that selling this land to private developers (who in all likelihood do not have any interest or sensibilities in our history)could mean for future generations.

          Most importantly, I'm joining this fight to preserve the Lundy's Lane battle site in honour of those soldiers who fought for us all there.

          I thank the Council for considering this letter.
          Sincerely,

          Kim Rogers
          formerly of Peterborough Ontario,
          now residing in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
        • Kim Lundberg
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
            Hi Kim,

            �� What was that address?

            Kim Lundberg, British Native Allies

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 20, 2012
              Thanks for your support!

              It might help to forward this to your MP and even the CBC.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                Hi Kim Lundberg,

                the addresses to send your letter to are:

                diorfida@... (Dean Iorfida - City Clerk)
                and also send a CC to:
                council@... (this goes directly to members of city council)

                I got a great response from a few of the councillors for writing in.
                I really think it's worth doing.
                thanks!
                Kim

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kim Lundberg <klundber@...> wrote:

                > Hi Kim,
                >
                >    What was that address?
                >
                > Kim Lundberg, British Native Allies
                >
                > On 04/20/12, planetgemini1812 <planetgemini@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I will gladly write to the City Clerk and Council to oppose this.

              • James Yaworsky
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                  In addition to the points made in Kim Roger's letter, all of which I agree with, is it crass of me to step back and look at this situation from the point of view of the average Niagara Falls city council member, and suggest the following?

                  While Niagara Falls has a lot of tourist attractions already, it never hurts to diversify the nature of those attractions so that there are even more reasons to visit and stick around the City.

                  So what's the Lundy's Lane battlefield got going for it in terms of tourism potential, specifically?

                  1) largest, fiercest battle of the war (makes for good promo copy);

                  2) BOTH sides think they won i.e. Americans are just as interested, potentially, in seeing the site as Canadians & British.

                  It's a "feel good" place for everybody and that is rare. Most battles in the War of 1812 had a very clear winner which then probably limits the tourism potential of said sites for citizens of the "loser" side.

                  What would it take to maximize the tourist potential of the site?

                  Imagination, space, and "fuel the pump" with some $. As long as the "imagination" part doesn't get tacky, then it can be a win/win situation for both the heritage community and the City's tourism business.

                  So buying the land is a smart *investment*.

                  Jim Yaworsky
                  41st
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                    Jim captures this well. For far too long the heritage community has argued that some building, or site, or place is important because it ought to be. Yes, significant things happened there. However, the majority of people have at best a very vague knowledge of the War of 1812 and its significance to Canada. Politicians are normally concerned with representing the concerns of their constituents. And the constituents may not be aware that the future of Canada hung in the balance in 1812-14 and that the various actions of that war, including Lundy's Lane, had a significant impact on the future of British North America and subsequently, Canada. What the people are aware of is the economy. What sort of financial benefits can they expect as a return on their tax dollars whether at the municipal, provincial or federal level? How does the preservation of the Lundy's Lane Battlefield help them from a financial perspective? If there is an argument that development of the LL battlefield will increase the numbers of tourists to NF or keep visitors longer, I am sure that councillors will listen.

                    Land acquisition issues are municipal or regional. The property belongs to the Region which can choose to transfer it to the municipality. I know of no provincial or federal programmes that would provide the requisite funding to acquire the property from the Region. You should not be contacting your MP or MPP but your Regional Councillor--on the importance of the property to Heritage Tourism.

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 21, 2012
                      Heritage tourists are called "culture vultures" in the trade
                      (versus "beach bums," etc.)

                      Here is some evidence you may want to share with your
                      councillors that indicates the popularity of heritage tourism
                      is on the rise and that investments in protecting property
                      may very well provide a financial payback.

                      This is the latest survey from the world's largest travel
                      site, Trip Advisor, that indicates "cultural trips surge in
                      popularity" and that traveling in that category will be
                      up 10% from last year:

                      http://www.multivu.com/mnr/49249-tripadvisor-announces-2012-travel-trends-forecast

                      Lee Simonson
                    • Soo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                        Kim Rogers,

                        You have said it so well!
                        I will use your example for constructing my reply.

                        Sue Too
                      • planetgemini1812
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                          Great perspective Jim, I hadn't considered it. Would you be willing to craft something of this sort and send it in? I think it would really provide some balance withall the so-called 'bleeding heart heritage lovers' responses they're going to get.
                          diorfida@...
                          council@...
                          -Kim

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                            Thank you Sue, I really believe in this cause!
                            -Kim

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Soo" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

                            > Kim Rogers,
                            >
                            > You have said it so well!
                            > I will use your example for constructing my reply.
                            >
                            > Sue Too

                          • planetgemini1812
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                              Excellent,Ron.
                              would you be willing to transfer these points into a letter to council?
                              I think the monetary aspect of this that have been put put forward by a few folks here is crucial.
                              the addresses are:
                              diorfida@...
                              council@...

                              -Kim

                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@...> wrote:

                              > Jim captures this well. For far too long the heritage community has argued that some building, or site, or place is important because it ought to be. Yes, significant things happened there. However, the majority of people have at best a very vague knowledge of the War of 1812 and its significance to Canada. Politicians are normally concerned with representing the concerns of their constituents. [snip]
                            • planetgemini1812
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                                Hi Lee,

                                I love the evidence you present here for the financial payback of cultural travel.
                                would you be willing to present that link to council in an email? There are only 2 days left to make our points.
                                Yours is a credible perspective,and may just tip the balance:
                                diorfida@...
                                council@...

                                thanks Lee
                                -Kim

                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, lee@... wrote:

                                > Heritage tourists are called "culture vultures" in the trade
                                > (versus "beach bums," etc.)
                                >[snip]
                              • bill.colclough
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 22, 2012
                                  Thanks to everyone for their support so far.

                                  Just some background.

                                  The City of Niagara Falls is purchasing the Battlefield Public School property from the school board. They are proposing selling a portion of this land to a funeral home for parking and the school building and section of the land to Stamford Kiwanis to be developed into an apartment. They keep saying "seniors apartment" but it is discrimination in Ontario to say that an apartment is only for a select group of people. This was pointed out to them in an open meeting and they said that they knew it was illegal but they do it anyway.

                                  Since this is a rezoning of property the City was only obligated to let residents within 400 feet of the property aware of the rezoning. Clearly they are trying to sneak this through.

                                  The City is supposed to buy the land (they can't partner with private groups to purchase public land) then declare it surplus and then publicly give notice and accept bids. They are not doing this.

                                  They are ignoring their own official city plans. The property was identified as an area to acquire and turn into green space. We have put together all of the legal arguments by using the City's own documents. There are also Niagara Region documents that support our case.

                                  There are several business' in the area that support our cause. I have been speaking with city councillors, the MPP, and a rep for the MP. Many of you will know Jim Hill. He lives around the corner from the site so he didn't get an official notice so I let him know what is happening.

                                  If we lose on Tuesday night the residents on Barker St. are planning on taking this to court. We have to do our best before Tuesday night so that the right thing can be done without having to take the matter to court.

                                  I will keep the group posted.

                                  Bill

                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "planetgemini1812" <planetgemini@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Lee,
                                  >
                                  > I love the evidence you present here for the financial payback of cultural travel.
                                  > would you be willing to present that link to council in an email? There are only 2 days left to make our points.
                                  > Yours is a credible perspective,and may just tip the balance:
                                  > diorfida@...
                                  > council@...
                                  >
                                  > thanks Lee
                                  > -Kim
                                  >

                                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, lee@ wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Heritage tourists are called "culture vultures" in the trade
                                  > > (versus "beach bums," etc.)
                                  > >[snip]

                                • seascoutleader
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 28 7:15 PM
                                    Hello group:
                                    Please see below.

                                    I started an online Petition.

                                    Please support the cause and stop this irresponsible destruction.

                                    Pass this link to all that will sign.

                                    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/773/755/462/stop-a-canadian-historical-site-from-becoming-a-parking-lot/

                                    YIS

                                    Skipper Brian
                                    65th Toronto Sea Scouts & Sea Venturers

                                    Please copy the URL to the upper left corner of your browser.
                                    Thank you.