Re: kids shoes

  • Penelope
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
      I always went to thrift shops or Walmart and got black dress shoes that were appropriate and I rarely spent more then $15 a pop. My daughter wore (and still wears) ballet flats - not the proper slippers but flats. Plain and black.
      My son is now 12 and used to wear lace up dress shoes but now has a pair of boots.
      Honestly, most of the time we are all barefoot at events. But mind you - I got back into the hobby when the kids were 8 and 13 so they were smart enough (or aware enough) to look where they were walking and not step on thistles, glass or sharp rocks etc.

      Penni Stoddart
      Penelope's Pots
      www.penelopepots.ca
    • Martin Hickey
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
        Spatterdashes, gaiters & leggings are great cover ups for plain black shoes.  Kids grow so fast and the cost of shoes is high.  This is the one area that most folks will turn a gentle eye away from...  And if your kids are like most, they'll be barefoot most of time any way...

        Martin Hickey

      • Soo
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
          I concur with Peter.
          I was a walking instructor with the Running Room, before I blew my hip, and picked up the basics of shoe fitting.

          Brand name runners for kids are astronomically priced. Those in the know always said that the brand names were a waste of $$ as kids' feet didn't need all that support, cushioning, etc.

          So if they are old enough to watch where they step, let them go bare foot. Probably more historically correct.
          The wearing of moccasins and/or beef boots is not incorrect either.

          Has anyone ever done any research into how many shoe makers (not cobblers) there were in UC during the period? And what a child's shoe would have cost then?

          Sue Too
        • craig charron
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
            Thanks all! Many great suggestions here!  I will be hitting the thrift stores over the next few weeks prior to siege weekend at Ft. Meigs.

            Thanks,
            Craig C.
            1st US R.R.