Re: kids shoes

  • Grenzer7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
      Amen to that, Mark!

      John Goldsworthy
      St. Thomas, ON

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
        I'm going to throw in an odd idea - and not because I'm trying to sell you moccasins - but as a more general cogittation on this question. Chuildren through most of human history, even in the temperate, as opposed to tropical, climates, spent a large part of their time barefoot. The foot develops naturally in a way which is rather different from what happens when we put it into a hard soled shaped shoe from the age of 1 or 2 years. An obvious example would be the success of Ethiopian marathon runners over the last few decades, who learned to run barefoot and report far fewer foot issues than do their 'more advanced' competitors. At the opposite end of the admittedly broad spectrum are the large numbers of ballerinas who wind up addicted to pain killers because of how they mistreat their feet. Moccasins or ghillie brogues - the Smoke and Fire style, not the misnamed modern dance shoes - are the closest to barefoot. They cover the foot and protect it from cuts and scrapes but don't influence the way it works or grows. My two girls, both young ladies now, went bare foot when reenacting for at least a decade each with no discernible ill effecst. I admit I pushed ghillies on them - made with my own sweat and blood - in case there were thorns or sharp objects in the grass, but bare feet certainly did them no harm and most of our encampments are significantly cleaner than the average city street, if one defines 'clean' as sans dog t***s and broken glass. Perhaps consider it? My tuppence worth! ;7)

        Peter Monahan
        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

      • HAROLD DENNISON
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
          We always bought the boys (now 16 and 21) "inexpensive" leather dress shoes. While not period correct, it was as close as you're going to get in a "comfortable" shoe that offers decent support and the leather helped keep their feet drier and warmer. Once they got scuffed up a bit it was hard to tell them from a period shoe from any distance.
          That being said, they spent a great deal of their time barefoot.

          Hal Dennison

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
            If you can find used brown or black dress shoes, great! As to black running shoes--I suggest that, if the edges of the soles aren't black, you just cover over those with a black marker.

            Ann Wass

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
              I always went to thrift shops or Walmart and got black dress shoes that were appropriate and I rarely spent more then $15 a pop. My daughter wore (and still wears) ballet flats - not the proper slippers but flats. Plain and black.
              My son is now 12 and used to wear lace up dress shoes but now has a pair of boots.
              Honestly, most of the time we are all barefoot at events. But mind you - I got back into the hobby when the kids were 8 and 13 so they were smart enough (or aware enough) to look where they were walking and not step on thistles, glass or sharp rocks etc.

              Penni Stoddart
              Penelope's Pots
              www.penelopepots.ca
            • Martin Hickey
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
                Spatterdashes, gaiters & leggings are great cover ups for plain black shoes.  Kids grow so fast and the cost of shoes is high.  This is the one area that most folks will turn a gentle eye away from...  And if your kids are like most, they'll be barefoot most of time any way...

                Martin Hickey

              • Soo
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                  I concur with Peter.
                  I was a walking instructor with the Running Room, before I blew my hip, and picked up the basics of shoe fitting.

                  Brand name runners for kids are astronomically priced. Those in the know always said that the brand names were a waste of $$ as kids' feet didn't need all that support, cushioning, etc.

                  So if they are old enough to watch where they step, let them go bare foot. Probably more historically correct.
                  The wearing of moccasins and/or beef boots is not incorrect either.

                  Has anyone ever done any research into how many shoe makers (not cobblers) there were in UC during the period? And what a child's shoe would have cost then?

                  Sue Too
                • craig charron
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Thanks all! Many great suggestions here!  I will be hitting the thrift stores over the next few weeks prior to siege weekend at Ft. Meigs.

                    Thanks,
                    Craig C.
                    1st US R.R.