Re: 1812 Re: [Fwd: Fort Erie Grande Parade June 23 and Battle of Frenchman's Creek June 24]

  • John Sek
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hi Dave,

      The camp and the battle will be held at the battlesite, which the
      Frenchman's Creek Campground currently occupies.

      Parking will be off-site. We are planning for 50,000 people to attend, so
      we need a lot of parking space. Shuttle services will be available to
      transport all re-enactors to the parking lots, to the parade marshalling
      yard, to the fort and back and forth as need be.

      Parade route starts at Surgar Bowl Park (Central & Gilmore). Down Gilmore
      to the Niagara Blvd. South on the Blvd to Mathar Arch (reviewing stand)
      and then on to the Fort. Actually about 1/2 km short of the fort to
      permit a de-parade area for those who are going to the Tattoo later that
      evening and for those wishing to return home. We will post the parade
      route hopefully by this week-end on the website www.FortErie1812.com

      For those who wish to call me, my cell is (289) 213-0873 daytime or (905)
      871-7449 evening. Of course email < parade @ FortErie1812.com > is also
      available.

      regards,

      John

      Hello Jon,

      > Where exactly will the camp be located and where will the Sunday battle
      > take place?
      > Where will the re-enactors park and how will they get to the parade?
      > What is the parade route?
      >
      > Otherwise, thank you for the other good information.
      > Dave Westhouse,
      > Grenadiers of the Royal Scots.
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Sek" <jsek@...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > We are now finalizing our plans for the War of 1812 Grande Parade in Fort
      > Erie on June 23, 2012 and the 200th anniversary for the Battle of
      > Frenchman's Creek the following day.
      >
      > As we all know, the War of 1812 is sometimes referred to as the `Forgotten
      > War' where the general public is unaware of places such as Chrysler Farm
      > and Chateageuy. Sadly for all veterans, Fort Erie which is the bloodiest
      > battle site on Canadian soil, is virtually unknown. With the help of War
      > of 1812 reenactors, this parade, this very Grande Parade and all other
      > Bicentennial celebrations throughout Canada and the United States, we may
      > be able to make places like Fort Erie, less forgotten.
      >
      > This is a Niagara Region 1812 Bicentennial "Signature Event". The parade
      > will be the largest and only Bicentennial parade in North America. The
      > event is international with bands, VIPs and veterans attending from
      > Canada, Great Britain and the United States. 50 bands and a similar
      > number in floats and marching units will be in attendance (approx. 4,000
      > participating). Salutes and tributes will be received by the various
      > bands and marching units in review by a rather significant cross-section
      > of dignitaries, also from these 3 countries. Greetings and salutations
      > are being received by communities across Canada and the United States in
      > acknowledgement.
      >
      > As a teaser, some of our VIPs
      >
      > General Rick Hillier
      > Chief of Defence Staff 2005 - 2008
      > Grande Parade Honourary Parade Marshall
      >
      > Brigadier Barry LeGrys
      > British Defence Adviser to the British High Commissioner
      >
      > Royal Canadian Legion
      > Dominion Command & Ontario Command
      >

      > Following the parade in the old Fort, a Tattoo will be held featuring the
      > most distinguished bands from the parade ending with an "Historical"
      > fireworks display.
      >
      > As a one time, never been done and will not be repeated ever again, will
      > be a reenactment of the Battle of Frenchman's Creek held on the actual
      > battle field site. The actual battle took place on November 28, 1812 as a
      > follow up to the Battle of Queenston Heights by American forces to gain a
      > foothold in Canada before the year was out. This was the last battle
      > fought in Canada for that year and ended the year in a stalemate. As a
      > side note to events in Europe, Napoleon began his retreat from Russia the
      > following day.
      >
      > Encampment features:
      >
      > • Camp is open for setup at on Friday, June 22nd.
> [...]
    • Rob Irvine
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
        Hi John
        How long is the parade route ?

        This is a better looking Elmo !
        Bob

      • Rob Irvine
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2012
          Aapologies to group-last message was to go to John Sek
          Bob Irvine