Flintlock rifles

  • churchy1146
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
      Davide Pedersoli & Co. have a flintlock listed that they refer to as a "Mortimer Rifle" (.54 cal, 7 groove). I can find no mention of such a rifle in any of the searches that I have done. Does anyone have information, if such a rifle existed? They do make a Baker rifle, but it is in smoothbore and I am interested in finding a rifled flintlock of a type that would have been used by the British military and/or their colonial forces.
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
        The Rifle Shoppe also produces a Mortimer Rifle and a Baker. Both I believe
        are grooved.

        Mark Dickerson

        Original

        ."Mortimer Rifle" (.54 cal, 7 groove). Baker rifle, but it is in smoothbore
        and .

      • ANDREW BATEMAN
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
          The Pedersoli Mortimer rifle isn't military.  It is a replica of a British sporting rifle of the early 19th century, possibly as early as our period but more likely just before the takeover by percussion in the 1830's.  It would not have been issued by the British forces and would have been too expensive to be found in a farmer's cabin in Upper Canada.  At a stretch, an officer might have owned one for hunting, but that's the only way you would find one here.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
            Best info is in BRITISH MILITARY FLINTLOCK RIFLES 1740-1840 by DeWitt Bailey, chapter 16 and 17. The only British issue rifle of the period was the "Baker" in Pattern 1800 and 1805.

            FYI, The Rifle Shoppe is the best source for kits. They are very nice but come "as cast." It takes knowledge, skills, tools and experience to make a fine firearm form them. TRS does offer assembled arms from their kit, but the wait time is in years. (My 1805 Baker may have been an exception, it took almost four years, but is museum-quality. Yet I highly recommend them).

            Harry Pilotto
            3rd Coy,
            1st Royal Scots

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 23, 2012
              Thank you to those that offered information on the British Mortimer rifle. Having found the rifle on the Pedersoli site, I could find no information about the rifle. Your input is much appreciated.

              [Moderator here. Members should put their name on all emails.]