RE: 1812 Re: prize money shares by rank or ... ?

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      Art

      Thanks for the prompt response and the link to Cruikshank's list. As I half suspected, however, more complex than I had suggested. The London Gazette entry for Tigress & Scorpion [and others] lists eight 'classes' while Cruikshank lists eleven ranks! Presumably, at some point, the various ranks were concentrated under a smaller number of classes. Colonels & Lt. Colonels together? Drummers & Privates? Sergeants & Staff Sergeants? Also notice that in the "Navy" column for my example, not all the possible classes are listed, only "Flag, 1st, 5th & 8th", presumably reflecting the fact that only 17 RN personnel were involved and did not represent all possible ranks or ratings.

      Peter Monahan
      petemonahan@...
      705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

      [snip]
      > The Champlain Society' " Select British Documents of the Canadian War of 1812 vol.3 part 2" page 748 mentions under prize money,
      [snip]
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        Peter, I think the documents were from William Woods' three-volume collection.Ray H