Re: prize money shares by rank or ... ?

  • Art Neilands
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      The Champlain Society' " Select British Documents of the Canadian War of 1812 vol.3 part 2" page 748 mentions under prize money,

      "The following regulation for the distribution of prize money to the Army in British North America......"

      Private soldier
      Drummer
      Corporal
      Serjeant
      Staff Serjeant
      Subaltern
      Captain
      Major
      Lieutenant Colonel
      Colonel
      General Officer
      Commander of the Forces

      "The Officer commanding a Division of Troops making a capture to recieve double the number of shares alloted to his rank." Here's the lnk for anyone interested.

      http://link.library.utoronto.ca/champlain/DigObj.cfm?Idno=9_96882&lang=eng&Page=0217&Size=3&query=9_96882&searchtype=Bibrecord&startrow=1&Limit=All

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
        Art

        Thanks for the prompt response and the link to Cruikshank's list. As I half suspected, however, more complex than I had suggested. The London Gazette entry for Tigress & Scorpion [and others] lists eight 'classes' while Cruikshank lists eleven ranks! Presumably, at some point, the various ranks were concentrated under a smaller number of classes. Colonels & Lt. Colonels together? Drummers & Privates? Sergeants & Staff Sergeants? Also notice that in the "Navy" column for my example, not all the possible classes are listed, only "Flag, 1st, 5th & 8th", presumably reflecting the fact that only 17 RN personnel were involved and did not represent all possible ranks or ratings.

        Peter Monahan
        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

        [snip]
        > The Champlain Society' " Select British Documents of the Canadian War of 1812 vol.3 part 2" page 748 mentions under prize money,
        [snip]
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
          Peter, I think the documents were from William Woods' three-volume collection.Ray H