RE: 1812 Re: Southern Militias during the War - SC

  • Bob Boynton, RNCR 16th, etc.
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi again John

      No, I am sorry, but not. Georgia militias were involved in
      occupying/squatting on the GA-FLA border and starting to invade. They got
      as far as St Augustine before the Spanish did anything. The GA Gov. was
      called to the carpet and the US Navy gunboats that assisted were called
      back. I'm sure they would have gone to Andy Jackson's aid against the
      Creeks, but that's because they were neighbors. I've not done any searching
      for this, I am afraid. Hope this helps a bit

      Bob

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        GA militia fought in the Creek War and got into at least one pretty tough little battle[IIRC!]. Check Chartrand's most recent book on the US uniform and equipment. He has a lot on all of the states' militias.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <flokuscbs@...> wrote:

        > Thank you very much guys! Any clues about the Georgia Militia?

      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
          Thanks guys! (: If anybody has any other information about the militias of those states, please post here.
        • Mark Bradford
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
            What about those two books by Rene Chartrand? Would they be any good to you!

            With Regards

            Mark

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
              What are you doing with the info? Are you writing a book, or putting
              together a Regiment or Event? You name doesn't give us much info regarding
              your home area or purpose. Thanks for expounding

              bob

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...
                As to my intentions, I'm an amateur uniformologist, and I would like to, in the future, create free uniform guides based on the information I gathered. Here is an example of some templatesI have worked on, based on information I got at the South and Central American Wars group, depicting haitian troops of the XIX Century:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/40388112@N07/sets/72157629510136565/with/6952373945/
              • tom4141fournier
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <flokuscbs@...> wrote:

                  > Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...

                  Try his publisher:

                  http://servicepub.com/

                  The British uniforms edition has sold out and seems to be heading for reprint

                  I see both volumes coming up for sale regularly on eBay.

                  Good luck!

                  Tom