Re: Southern Militias during the War - SC

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
      Thank you very much guys! Any clues about the Georgia Militia?
    • Bob Boynton, RNCR 16th, etc.
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        Hi again John

        No, I am sorry, but not. Georgia militias were involved in
        occupying/squatting on the GA-FLA border and starting to invade. They got
        as far as St Augustine before the Spanish did anything. The GA Gov. was
        called to the carpet and the US Navy gunboats that assisted were called
        back. I'm sure they would have gone to Andy Jackson's aid against the
        Creeks, but that's because they were neighbors. I've not done any searching
        for this, I am afraid. Hope this helps a bit

        Bob

        Thank you very much guys! Any clues about the Georgia Militia?

      • awhitelion2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          GA militia fought in the Creek War and got into at least one pretty tough little battle[IIRC!]. Check Chartrand's most recent book on the US uniform and equipment. He has a lot on all of the states' militias.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
            Thanks guys! (: If anybody has any other information about the militias of those states, please post here.
          • Mark Bradford
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
              What about those two books by Rene Chartrand? Would they be any good to you!

              With Regards

              Mark

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                What are you doing with the info? Are you writing a book, or putting
                together a Regiment or Event? You name doesn't give us much info regarding
                your home area or purpose. Thanks for expounding

                bob

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                  Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...
                  As to my intentions, I'm an amateur uniformologist, and I would like to, in the future, create free uniform guides based on the information I gathered. Here is an example of some templatesI have worked on, based on information I got at the South and Central American Wars group, depicting haitian troops of the XIX Century:
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/40388112@N07/sets/72157629510136565/with/6952373945/
                • tom4141fournier
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <flokuscbs@...> wrote:

                    > Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...

                    Try his publisher:

                    http://servicepub.com/

                    The British uniforms edition has sold out and seems to be heading for reprint

                    I see both volumes coming up for sale regularly on eBay.

                    Good luck!

                    Tom