Re: [Bulk] Re: Leap Day and the War of 1812

  • John Matthew IV
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2012
      James Yaworsky wrote:

      > Dumb question, but I find I don't know the answer to what would seem to be
      > a very basic question off the top of my head: did women
      > already have the vote in the U.S. at this time period? If pressed to
      guess, I'd say "no".

      There are no dumb questions, Jim.

      Women in the United States got the vote with the 19th Amendment in 1920.

      Women in New Jersey could vote, if they owned enough property, from
      1776-1807.

      In Canada, women who were British subjects and had close relatives in the
      armed forces could vote on behalf of their male relatives, in federal
      elections starting in 1917.

      By 1919, all women could vote in federal elections.

      I hope this helps.

      John Matthew IV