Southern Militias during the War

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
      Anybody knows anything about the organization and uniforms of the militias from Georgia and both Carolinas during the period of the war?
    • Bob Boynton, RNCR 16th, etc.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
        Hello John (and all)

        We are working on just this right now. I am in NC, but I would guess
        SC and GA would be similar. All NC counties had a local militia. This
        served for any local emergency, as well as road crews and voting districts.
        They were only expected to serve within their county or township borders.
        If the State needed to call up some troops for a State emergency, say the
        British Marines attacking the Outer Banks in 1813, Many county militias
        might respond. If the need was greater, the Governor would call for a
        detached Militia to be formed, taking volunteers or drafts from each county
        militia to for a company or two of this detached Militia. These would serve
        the State, and might even cross over the border if needed. These occupied
        Forts Hampton and Johnson at the coast, crossed into Virginia to Hampton in
        1813, and even headed to Alabama to help fight the Creeks. (story goes that
        some headed toward New Orleans, but were turned back when didn't make the
        battle in time). Also, the 10th US Infantry was raised from most of the
        State of NC, of patriotic volunteers. (some also joined the 18th, 12th,
        35th, 1st US Rifles, and 3rd US Art.) Dr. Calvin Jones was appointed the
        Adjutant General of the Militia, which oversaw activities of all aspects of
        NC Militia.

        We do not know too much about uniforms. The militias were not
        usually equipped by the county, but by the individual. When the militia was
        called out, the resident would bring his musket (a few rifles, or a bunch of
        shotguns), 2 days food, and wear the appropriate clothing for the duty.
        The State provided for the Detached Militia only a cockade to be worn in the
        hat. According to a friend of mine's research, rifle frocks were the most
        prevalent, and white or natural the common color, though there were others;
        I have read about blue and green frocks, but not that common. Some
        organizations within the county militia were outfitted, either by the county
        or by individual purchase. The Wake (Raleigh, NC) Volunteer Guards wore a
        natural linen rifle frock with blue trim, and embroidered WVG on the cape.
        The Fayetteville Light Infantry is documented to wear uniforms like the
        regular Army. If the soldier was to march out to War, muskets of common
        size bore would be traded (leaving the odd ones as collateral) to the men
        for ease of ammunition supply.

        I hope this helps somewhat. If you live close to us in NC, we
        would love to have you come and fall in to our festivities.

        Bob Boynton

        Kannapolis, NC

        10th US and NC Militias

        21st RNBF

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
          In SC militia volunteers were based at Hadrell's Point across the river from Charleston and back of Sullivan's Island where Fort Moultrie is located in both 1812 and in 1814. I believe SC Militia Volunteers also served in the Creek War.
          According to documents in SC Archives the State provided arms tents and camp equipage as well as drums and fifes to the Volunteers.
          There were uniformed militia companies in Charleston of course and a newspaper article in Columbia SC from later in the century talks about the Richland Volunteer Rifles, formed during the war: "The old rifleman in his green hunting shirt" if you can rely on that. It appears from Drayton's Letterbook that in 1812 militia men could purchase certain items of federal clothing from stockpiles in Charleston or Columbia - these would include items like trowsers, jackets, frocks, shirts and shoes.
          According to Chartrand's updated work, in late 1814 militiamen on active service with the units at Hadrell's Point were to receive the federal blue coatee with yellow buttons and were to wear a round hat with a blue plume or pompon. In legislative papers there was an effort to provide SC militia on active service with a greatcoat in very late 1814, but of course the war ended before the legislature acted on the idea.
          Officers were to have provided themselves with uniforms from 1794, the other ranks probably wore their personal clothing.I'm not aware of anything which has survived giving information on militia companies deciding on company uniforms although it's probably likely they made and worn hunting shirts if they did.
          Tom Dunbar, Camden SC

        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
            Thank you very much guys! Any clues about the Georgia Militia?
          • Bob Boynton, RNCR 16th, etc.
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              Hi again John

              No, I am sorry, but not. Georgia militias were involved in
              occupying/squatting on the GA-FLA border and starting to invade. They got
              as far as St Augustine before the Spanish did anything. The GA Gov. was
              called to the carpet and the US Navy gunboats that assisted were called
              back. I'm sure they would have gone to Andy Jackson's aid against the
              Creeks, but that's because they were neighbors. I've not done any searching
              for this, I am afraid. Hope this helps a bit

              Bob

              Thank you very much guys! Any clues about the Georgia Militia?

            • awhitelion2000
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                GA militia fought in the Creek War and got into at least one pretty tough little battle[IIRC!]. Check Chartrand's most recent book on the US uniform and equipment. He has a lot on all of the states' militias.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                  Thanks guys! (: If anybody has any other information about the militias of those states, please post here.
                • Mark Bradford
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                    What about those two books by Rene Chartrand? Would they be any good to you!

                    With Regards

                    Mark

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                      What are you doing with the info? Are you writing a book, or putting
                      together a Regiment or Event? You name doesn't give us much info regarding
                      your home area or purpose. Thanks for expounding

                      bob

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                        Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...
                        As to my intentions, I'm an amateur uniformologist, and I would like to, in the future, create free uniform guides based on the information I gathered. Here is an example of some templatesI have worked on, based on information I got at the South and Central American Wars group, depicting haitian troops of the XIX Century:
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/40388112@N07/sets/72157629510136565/with/6952373945/
                      • tom4141fournier
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John" <flokuscbs@...> wrote:

                          > Were can I find the Rene Chartrand books? I looked on amazon, but they seem to be unavailable...

                          Try his publisher:

                          http://servicepub.com/

                          The British uniforms edition has sold out and seems to be heading for reprint

                          I see both volumes coming up for sale regularly on eBay.

                          Good luck!

                          Tom