RE: 1812 Nicholas Misener

  • Adrian Rittner
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2012
      Ray,

      I have been wondering about the 6th Regiment participation as well. Sometime
      they come up in secondary references. It is possible that they were there
      but never fully engaged due to the stalemated effects of the battle. I have
      yet to see anything about the 1st Regiment or any Natives. But also keep in
      mind we are talking about companies of these regiments not their entire
      battalions.

      Back in the Chippawa area there are many different regiments. The
      re-enforcing units are coming into the Niagara theatre of operations more
      rapidly throughout the fall. These are troops Gen. Drummond needed and
      begged for a couple of months earlier. Some regiments are being pulled out
      as well. Portage road was truly a two way street in this time. The 97th
      Regiment would be the ultimate regiment to re-enact, as soon as they got to
      Niagara the whole things was over.

      To confuse things further, Gen Bissell, the US commander names the 87th
      Regiment to be seen on the British side in his after action report. What? I
      think he had that one mixed up with another unit.

      He also says they have some dragoons as well. I wonder if he confuse the
      concept of dragoons with possible horses bringing up the field carriage and
      the rocket tripods (maybe rocket carts?).

      In Myers report back to Drummond he states:

      "SIR, -- I have the honor to report to you that I proceeded this morning to
      reconnoitre the position of the enemy at Cook's Mills, distant from hence
      three miles, where he was understood to be in force. I directed
      Lieutenant-Colonel Battersby, with the Glengary Regiment of light infantry,
      to move in front of the flanks; Lieutenant-Colonel the Marquess of Tweeddale
      with the 100th, flank companies of the 104th, and those of the 82nd, with a
      six pounder and the rockets, in support, and Major Proctor with the
      remainder of the 82nd Regiment to move in reserve, the whole about seven
      hundred and fifty men."

      He does not mention the 6th Regiment as some others do in secondary
      references. However maybe he is only referring to units that did engage the
      enemy.

      Adrian Rittner

      Ray Hobbs
      Subject: RE: 1812 Nicholas Misener
      Pauline: I did not know the 6th were there.
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
        Good morning, Adrian:Thanks for these notes. They are helpful. I have done some research into the 100th for my edited version of George Ferguson's Journal of his war experiences. He was in the Light company of the 100th, and mentions Cook's Mill as their final battle. By then much of the 100th had begun their withdrawal to Lower Canada.Pauline seems to be concerned with a local man, Misener, whom one assumes was in the Militia. Nothing I have seen suggests that the Militia was involved in the battle. My understanding is that most of the Militia regiments were now withdrawn from the field and the men back at home.Dragoons are interesting. Maybe Merritt's Provincials, or Coleman's Canadian LD. The latter were still around the Niagara region until well into 1815. I believe they were stood down in March of that year - after much complaining by Coleman. Somewhere in my files I have a pay account drawn at Burlington Heights in December 1814.Fun stuff.
        My thinking is that Pauline will stick with her family stories.

        Ray
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hi Adrian:I have attached in PDF Drummond's letter of the 10th Oct. to Prevost, outlining his redeployment of troops in the Niagara region in anticipation of Izard's advance.With less that forty km he did have at his disposal both Militia and 19th LD. and a host of other detachments from various regiments.Interesting stuff.Ray

        • Pauline Grondin
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 13, 2012
            To all of you who were kind enough to help me sort out some of the questions on Nicholas Misener and his family. It has been concluded that Nicholas and his two oldest sons Richard and Peter fought with the 3rd. Lincoln Militia at the Battle of Cooks Mills and others of course. The 3rd. Lincoln was made up of men from South Lincoln and North Crowland. Their home was situated where the Chippewa meets the Welland Canal. As many of you know most of my research and storytelling is aimed towards first person presentations on Canadian Pioneer women. My first intention was to write Jane's story. However, an amazing coincidence has uncovered that Jane and Nicholas' daughter Sarah and her husband Hugh Sharon are buried at Frome United Church. The cemetery is right beside the farmhouse I was born in. I can remember many times as a little girl being frightened upon approaching the outhouse because I was afraid of the cemetery. And yet there was Sarah all those years ago waiting for me to tell her story. Pauline GrondinVoices of the Past
            www.paulinegrondin.com
            Life is a dance, you learn as you go. Enjoy!!

          • Diane Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 13, 2012
              Are you writing a novel, short story, screenplay?

              ~~Diane