Re: New to group

  • artillerist1813
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hi Mike!
      "The British Army at Mackinac, 1812-15" (http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/11113666) includes a uniform plate of a couple of the Royal Vets. That at least should hint at their jacket facings and other uniform colors, as well as whether they wore tombstone or stovepipe shakos (the latter I think). A company was stationed at Fort Mackinac throughout most of the war. Their captain was so sickly that he was replaced with an officer from the 1/41st at some point. A much smaller number (as few as five men at the Battle of Frenchtown) accompanied Maj. General Henry Procter's Right Division during the campaign of 1813. Most of these men were probably picked up by the Americans along with the many of the 1/41st soldiers at the Battle of Lake Erie or Thames (probably have to check prisoner rolls from both battles to be sure).
      Dan Wilkens